Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This Is What I Call "Good People"


"Joe:

My friend (82 years old) lives in Delaware and this morning she and the lady that has lived under her care (mentally challenged) for about 30 years went to Sam's Club in Salisbury to shop. When they were getting their cart outside, the lady (mentally challenged) saw a bag in the cart. She opened it and saw that it had money, so she took it inside to the office and turned it in. They thanked her and she went on shopping with her caregiver. It wasn't long before the people from Sam's club came and found her to thank her for the find. It seems that some company shopping in the store had left the cash in the cart. They were so grateful as was Sam's club for her honesty. Sam's Club gave her a $25.00 gift certificate. The folks that actually got the money back are probably still in shock that it was found and turned in. I only hope they give this very nice lady a reward as well. It was a very large amount of money $0,000.00 dollars and trust me these 2 ladies live on very meager means."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a great story!! alot of people would not have been that honest, she really does deserve more than a $25.00 gift card!

Anonymous said...

This lady came from a generation of honesty and integrity. We don’t see much of that today. When wars came during her life time they prayed them through. What do we do today? This current younger generation thinks “Oh sorry about your luck” and would have kept the money. War let’s protest! The $25.00 dollar gift card was nice. It probably supplied this lady a week’s worth of meals.

10001110101 said...

On the opposite side of things, a couple of years ago I went grocery shopping at Sam's and had left my wallet in the cart after I loaded my groceries in the car. I got home, started unloading, and realized it. I called Sam's Club immediately and they had my wallet in the office. I went back to pick it up and everything was left in the wallet. I had credit cards and cash and it was not touched. I asked management who returned it and they said the cart boy did. I wanted to give him the money left in my wallet for being so honest but Sam's would not tell me which person it was. I was so touched by this person's integrity. Most of the cart boys are young teenagers and for them to be this honest this day and age really spoke words to me. I wrote a letter to the main headquarters of Sam's Club and told them the story and asked them to please find out who was on the payroll that night and validate them for their honesty. I certainly hope that the employee there got recognized for his act and that my letter did not get lost in the corporate shuffle. When you find an honest employee, you never let them go and you pay them well. They are few and far between. That is the person you want driving your business.

Anonymous said...

No one can accept any gratuity at Sam's club or Walmart as it is company policy. It is nice to want to reward them but it could cost them their job. I'm sure they brought this up at a meeting and the recognition from his peers would make his day. I hope everyone realizes giving a tip to anyone would cost them their job if it is brought to managements attention.

10001110101 said...

10:01~Wow! I didn't know that. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Yeah same goes for places like Wawa. If we were given a tip, we put it in the charity boxes.

Chimera said...

They need to ante up and give this lady a better reward!

Anonymous said...

I dont think its up to Sam's club to give out the reward. It's up to the people that lost the money to give her something. I think it was nice of Sam's club to give her the gift certificate.