Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tomatoes & Cheap Labor

CHEAP TOMATOES?

'As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of: I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1 school, meaning that its students average lower socioeconomic and income levels.

Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell Gardens , Huntington Park , etc., where these students are protesting, are also Title 1 schools.

Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program. When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones. The school also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in America . (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students here in the country less then 3 months who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling them 'Puta s' (whores< /SPAN>) and throwing things, that the teachers were in tears.

Free medical, free education, free food, day care, etc., etc, etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled to not only be in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements?

To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new diseases etc., etc, etc. For me, I'll pay more for tomatoes.

Americans, We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster because we won't have the guts to enforce it. Does anyone in their right min! d really think they will voluntarily leave and return?

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate, and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about ' political correctness' that we don't have the will to d o anything about it.

This has not been sent through Snopes.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

joe you clearly are bigotted and racist. You routinely spew hateful and innacurate propoganda targetting hispanics. It is sad to see how "immigrant" has become the new "n" word and how right-winged puppets, like yourself, so easily wield it... disgraceful

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm very liberal and left-wing, but I also think everyone should stop getting a 'free ride'. Get off your butt and go to work...work two or three jobs if you have to. I'm struggling just to keep my head above the bills I owe, and support my own family. Maybe I should rethink this? Just get pregnant a few more times and have other hard working people support me? I can't afford a cell phone or GPS, and I shop yard sales and thrift shops for my kids clothes...maybe I should have the government support my basic needs like food and clothing) so I can upgrade to Verizon Unlimited, get some "BlinG" and have money to afford a tricked out new car with kicking sound system?!?!

Anonymous said...

Anyone who thinks this kind of behavior is limited to illegal immigrants has spent little time in schools with kids from lower-class backgrounds. Shutting down the border won't stop this type of waste of taxpayer dollars from happening. As long as the government (read: taxpayers) subsidizes poverty (giving the poor free housing, medical care, food, etc.) we'll see people acting like this. Don't blame the immigrants -- blame LBJ and the liberals who decided it was a good idea to use your money in this way.

Anonymous said...

law==1012am take your sorry hispanic ass back where you came from.

Anonymous said...

The problem is not that we provide the services, the problem is that we don't enforce abuse and crime. If a child is damaging a computer, or throwing away the lunch or breakfast then maybe the child should be kicked out of school for the damage or the parents pay for it and they should remove them from the free lunch or breakfast if they are not eating it. America has some great programs that they provide to under privelaged people or low income, but the agencies do not enforce the abuse of the system. Why didn't that teacher/adminstrator stand up for the money they did not need to the school board. Our schools get more money for every child we can put in a low income/ special ed class. The schools are the ones manuvering around to get their money. Corruption is the game. Don't blame the students. Take the women who abuses the welfare system by getting insurance and food stamps and welfare. Many have a live in boyfriend who bring money into the house that they don't claim with social services. Or how about the single mother who each year gets a tax break for head of household and has a live in boyfriend who helps with the bills. Head of Household means just that. Listen people, all these programs are great and truly should help the ones who need it, but it is time to go after the abuse.

Anonymous said...

Dear Law Abiding Hispanic,
Unfortunately for you, most of your close friends and family probably fall into the category of being "helped" by the United States Government. As a legal American of long standing, I've never received a penny in assistance from any form or facet of our government, which I've worked to fund for almost 40 years. The resentment comes from the fact that lots of people, OF ALL RACES and ORIGINS, take more out than they will ever contribute to our society.
I'm sorry if you find this offensive, since you personally claim to be law abiding, but be honest, look around you, and you'll see that many recipients of assistance are able to do more to feed themselves than they do. I'm sorry that you were not born into a situation which allowed you the advantages of some, but neither was I. And yet I've managed to feed, clothe, shelter, and educate myself and my family without the government sending me a check.
EVER.
What I find "disgraceful" is the number of "immigrants" who claim our resources without any regret or remore....as though they were entitled to it.

Bob said...

Anon 1:08....... Your absolutely right!

More than two hundred years ago one of our founding fathers recognized that this would be a problem that, if left unchecked, would destroy our nation:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

.....and he was a Democrat.

It just goes to show how BOTH major political parties have utterly failed the American Public - mostly for personal gain!

Anonymous said...

isn't it funny that just because I am a hispanic you immediately assume that I had "assistance" or that I have taken advantage of the system. I was born and raised here. I am a U.S. citizen... I am educated and make a good living. The fact is that you all have grouped an entire culture into one and labeled them "immigrants." This is the epitome of racism (generalizing entire ethnic groups into one). As for anonymous that thinks I should take my sorry hispanic ass back... just pathetic. I have lived in this country as long as you have and paid my taxes just as you. I am just sick of the "code" that you all perpetrate... that is is fine to hate and label ethnic groups... when you say immigrant with such venom and hatred... is that any different than using the "n" word... oh wait, you probably use that too...

Anonymous said...

Why is it that anytime someone says something derogatory, however true, about immigrants they are labeled "racist"? Its a fact that illegal immigrants cost us untold millions in lost wages,(anyone who disagrees with this needs to spend a day in my boots as a Union Carpenter), school costs, medical costs, and various social programs that *legal* residents dont even qualify for. The simple fact is that they are criminals, and need to be treated as such. However, given the fact that they are escaping a second-rate country, the only way to prevent this horde of leeches from sucking the entire country dry is to punish those who employ them. If we, as a country, make them feel unwelcome enough, perhaps they will spend some of their energy trying to make their own country worth something.

Anonymous said...

I was born here. I have paid taxes for two decades.

There was a time in my life when I feel into a deep depression. Life sucked for me.

Unfortunately, my crappy job brought in about $10 per hour and had no benefits. I wanted to get therapy and anti-depressants, but couldn't afford to give up 25% of my income.

I tried to get enrolled in a medical assistance program for help. The social worker that I spoke with told me "You are welcome to fill out an application, but since you are young and educated I doubt you will fit into any of our programs." She also didnt have any suggestions to try for help. For 2 months I searched for any kind of program that could help me get the help that I needed without success.

What did I end up doing? I got a 2nd job. It paid $7.50 per hour - even worse than my other job. I worked 25 hours per week, and after I paid the taxes to give others healthcare, food, etc. I had just enough left over to pay for my own medical treatments.

The meds made it bearable to work even more, but barely. With commute, I was spending almost 80 hours/wk on work which didn't help me improve my health or personal situation at all. The therapy helped me get back on track with my life little bit by bit. 8 months later, I was fortunate enough to land a well paying job with good bennies and I quit my two jobs. I was out of treatment in 4 months.

It's a shame that my tax dollars couldn't find their way back to me when I really needed them. I'd give the shirt off my back for somebody who needs the help like I did back then. But it pisses me off to no end when I see waste, undeserving illegal aliens who break the law, and lazy slackers suck up all the funding while really good people slip through the cracks because they don't fit a certain criteria.

Anonymous said...

it's not the immagrant's fault, it's not the employors fault....it's your flippin government that allows them in, lets them qualify. Their having twins faster than rabbits, they apply for WIC and get food, milk and diapers for 7yrs because the babies are born in america. 2wks ago they were administering free birth control at Prince Street school {might still be} Whats worse...free wic or birth control?
Bottom line is the gov. is letting them in, border gaurds are getting rich making deals at 2thou each to let them pass, there are now tunnels as much as 1mile long, from hse to hse. Look at what the gov has allowed concerning importing everything, thats where the jobs are...its your congressional crooks making lush cushy forien deals for themselves, thats the head of the snake....thats where the problem begins.....americans are quikly becoming more enslaved to their government via taxes and programs...