Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 23, 2016

Ocean City Council conflicted over plumbing permit regulations

Ocean City planning department staff will review a proposed revision to the resort’s plumbing code and whether it makes it clear that residents can, for instance, replace a faucet in their homes without a permit and a master plumber.

Apparently the language in the current plumbing code, which was updated several months ago, left some property owners wondering whether they could do small jobs themselves, instead of having to call in a contractor.

Planning and Community Development Director Bill Neville suggested that the City Council create a new ordinance that spells out what sorts of fixture installations or replacements did not require a permit. The Council, however, opted to simplify the language even further in a 6-1 vote.

But when their suggestions were written out in an ordinance that was presented to them during the Sept. 19 session, some councilmembers were divided on whether that would address the issue.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, really? did you read that? how absolutely stupid. sorry but I can do many house hold minor repairs myself and will not be getting either a permit nor a plumber.

Prove I replace my own faucet, sink or toilet.

Unbelievable. WHo's plumber's buddy is on the council?

Anonymous said...

I pointed this stupidity out on this blog 3-4 years ago. OC is the perfect example of government gone crazy. Imagine your only bathroom toilet leaks and you can't get it fixed for 3 days because you can't get a plumber and have to wait for the permit. The electrical code is just as bad if you want to replace an overhead light fixture you have to call an electrician and get a permit. Do you think the local hotels in OC do this when a toilet or faucet leaks? If you replace an outdoor heat pump with the exact same type of unit you have to have a permit.

Anonymous said...

To 9:31 Poster - I agree. I am a licensed electrician and have been for more than 30 years. A few months ago I received a telephone call from a resident on 142nd Street asking for me to wire a utility room addition. (Dryer outlet, washer outlet, (2) electrical outlets, and a ceiling light fixture. I said no problem - so I went down to City Hall to obtain an electrical permit. When I got down there - I found out that the building permit was being held up because they said a licensed electrician was a prerequisite to sign off before the building permit could be issued. I said not a problem and signed off. No sooner than I started to exit OC across the drawbridge - I received a telephone call from City Hall on my cell phone from the licensing department stating that I also needed to obtain an OC license. I stated that I was a licensed electrician in Worcester County - but was advised that this license wouldn't suffice.

To make a long story short - I then called the home owner and advised him to please try and find another electrician as the regulatory environment in OC was just to much of a hassle for the little bit of money to be made on the job.

NOW GET THIS - THE HOMEOWNER STATED THAT I WAS NOW THE 3RD ELECTRICIAN THAT HAD GIVEN HIM THE SAME STORY - AND PRACTICALLY BEGGED ME TO OBTAIN THE LICENSE - AND - SAID HE WOULD MAKE IT WORTH MY WHILE BY COMPENSATING ME ACCORDINGLY. AND SO I TURNED AROUND - BUT BEFORE I WENT TO THE LICENSING DEPARTMENT - I WENT INTO CITY HALL AND INTO THE MAYOR'S OFFICE AND INFORMED MAYOR RICK MEEHAN ABOUT THE HOMEOWNER'S DEMISE - AND - INFORMED HIM THAT I WAS THE 3RD ELECTRICIAN AS THE OTHER TWO REFUSED TO EVEN ENTER OC.

Bottom line - I could tell Rick Meehan care less and give a rats a__ about the current state of affairs of OC.

MY WARNING - STAY THE HECK OUT OF OC. IT IS BAD NEWS FOR NOW ONLY HOMEOWNERS BUT ALSO BUSINESSES, TOURISTS, AND ESPECIALLY ELECTRICIANS AND PLUMBERS!!!!