Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, January 06, 2012

QUOTES OF THE DAY 1-6-12

“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
(1778 – 1830)”
― William Hazlitt

“The world loves to be amused by hollow professions, to be deceived by flattering appearances, to live in a state of hallucination; and can forgive everything but the plain, downright, simple, honest truth.”
― William Hazlitt

“I am not, in the ordinary acceptation of the term, a good-natured man; that is, many things annoy me besides what interferes with my own ease and interest. I hate a lie; a piece of injustice wounds me to the quick, though nothing but the report of it reach me. Therefore I have made many enemies and few friends; for the public know nothing of well-wishers, and keep a wary eye on those who would reform them.”
― William Hazlitt

“Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are, and what they ought to be.”
― William Hazlitt

“He will never have true friends who is afraid of making enemies.”
― William Hazlitt

“The art of conversation is the art of hearing as well as of being heard.”
― William Hazlitt

“The only vice that cannot be forgiven is hypocrisy. The repentance of a hypocrite is itself hypocrisy.”
― William Hazlitt

“Perhaps the best cure for the fear of death is to reflect that life has a beginning as well as an end. There was a time when we were not: this gives us no concern. Why, then, should it trouble us that a time will come when we shall cease to be?”
― William Hazlitt

“I’m not smart, but I like to observe.
Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why,”
― William Hazlitt

“Modern fanaticism thrives in proportion to the quanitity of contradictions and nonsense it poures down the throats of the gaping multitude, and the jargon and mysticism it offers to their wonder and credulity.”
― William Hazlitt

“Shall I faint, now that I have poured out the spirit of my mind to the world, and treated many subjects with truth, with freedom, with power, because I have been followed with one cry of abuse ever since for not being a Government tool?”
― William Hazlitt

No comments: