Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pat Robertson: Divorcing A Spouse With Alzheimer's Is Justifiable

Asked about marriage vows to stay together 'til death do us part,' he says: 'This is a kind of death'

Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson told his "700 Club" viewers that divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's is justifiable because the disease is "a kind of death."

During the portion of the show where the one-time Republican presidential candidate takes questions from viewers, Robertson was asked what advice a man should give to a friend who began seeing another woman after his wife started suffering from the incurable neurological disorder.

"I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her," Robertson said.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Christian and disagree with Robertson's statement here. When you get married it is for better or for worse in sickness and in health. His statement is COLD and not in keeping with his teachings or beliefs at all.

Anonymous said...

This man is crazy!

Anonymous said...

I'm with 2:07 a real Christian or even a real man would stay with the women he loves to the end. Obviously he doesn't practice what he preaches.

Anonymous said...

2:07, you're exactly right! I, too, am a very committed Christian. When I was married and promised to God and everyone in attendance, I took an oath, as it were, that I would be with my wife until "death do us part." My wife passed away a few years ago from debilitating diabetes. Never would I have considered leaving her.

Anonymous said...

I think he should continue to take care of the wife but should be justifiable that he moves on with his life at the same time...She won't remember anyway.

bob pinto said...

Agreed with 2:07 also.

I heard a preacher telling a story how a man went every day to the nursing home to eat lunch with his wife afflicted with alzheimer's.

His friend said, But she doesn't know you."

He said, " Yes, but I know her."

Anonymous said...

As the son of a Mom who recently passed away from the complications of Alzheimer's, after a 5 year battle, to say that I was disgusted by Robertson's remarks would be an understatement. You don't pick and choose which portions of the Bible you obey, and you don't decide, because something is inconvenient, that you don't do it. The Bible says divorce, other than for marital infidelity, is sin. So Robertson is now advocating sin, and telling people to commit it. What a foolish man. My dad sat with my mom every day, and held her hand as she passed away. He told me it was an honor to be able to care for his wife (of 50 years) during the last 5 years of her life HALF AS MUCH as she cared for her family all those years. Robertson can rest assured I will never support ANYTHING he is associated with.