Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Sign Of The DAILY Times

Being a liberal newspaper, "CHANGE" is something those dedicated to reading 2 day old news will cost you $1.00 per day and $1.50 on Sunday. Pretty soon they'll have dollar bill slots and won't take "CHANGE" at all.

Many people that I have spoken to about this increase respond with the very first statement, have you seen how thin the paper is. The second most popular response is, its all AP articles. The next most popular reply is, if I wanted the USA Today I would have purchased the USA Today.

Look, some of you may not like the fact that I have been calling the decline of the local Daily Times newspaper for years in advance. Many have gone after me for claiming I wished all of these people out of jobs, which is not true at all.

In fact, I think its important that the Daily Times stick around as competition is a very good thing. HOWEVER, I personally think that what I have accomplished deserves a LOT more respect. Allow me to explain.

ALL of us have seen, (over the years) big companies come into our communities. Take WalMart for example. What happened to the mom and pop shops, the hardware stores, you get the drift. They crushed the little guys and they disappeared. The Main Stream Media pounded their chest and thought, we can't be touched. So much so, 6 years ago the management at the Daily Times told me, (after I told them I would open my own source for local news) that they would love the competition.

Well, here we are today. Is Salisbury News better than the Daily Times. Well, I just don't know. What I do know is that we are working, (and have been for several years now) very hard at delivering you real time news and information. We are delivering you our view that is not controlled by ANY special interests.

Yes, there are times when Salisbury News cannot access inside information, simply because we ruffled some feathers along the way. The Sheriff cut us off from direct Press Releases. The Mayor picks and chooses what serves him best when its convenient for him. Am I bitter, absolutely not. If ANYONE thinks I didn't see any of it coming in advance they'd be nuts.

What I will tell you is this. We are NOT $1.50 a day for you to access a read. We are supported by a select group of Advertisers who we appreciate and respect like there's no tomorrow. We are growing and not demanding more money for less information.

While I hope the Daily Times sticks around for another ten years, unfortunately I do not see the reality of such a wish. If I'm wrong, so be it. However, shoving a $1.00 per day cost to the little that they now provide is a desperate move in the hopes of hanging in there. If they were as thick as they used to be, that would be one thing. Key employees have disappeared and are not being replaced. Open your eyes people. After all, I stated at least 2 years ago this was coming. Are you listening now?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Obama will subsidize liberal newspapers soon and we will get paid to read the trash

Anonymous said...

I cancelled my subscription last week. It wasn't easy but I've had enough.

Anonymous said...

Good luck if you want to cancel. After 8 calls in 4 weeks, I still got a paper this a.m. Now I want them to take the paper box away. Eight more calls?

Anonymous said...

They keep calling us wanting to buy their paper I have told them 10 times we do not want it and to stop calling and they still call. I am about to cuss them out do they not know what the word NO MEANS!

Anonymous said...

When my next bill came due in July (for 6 months)I let them know that I was not going to renew, but the papers kept coming. Yesterday I got another bill so I called them to tell them the same thing...it was difficult, but I finally got it through their heads that it just wasn't worth it to me anymore.

Anonymous said...

Then they have the nerve to throw that garbage free newspaper in my yard every week. We should all pile them up and send them for recycling in the DT parking lot. Stop littering my yard and sidewalk.

Burley Q said...

you people have flipped your lid. i canceled my subscription way back when. you know when they downsized their worthless np.the usa-today is the way 2go or the baltimore sun.they supply the most up to date national & world news. ole yes we can't forget sbynews with Joe Albero they rock.you might like or hate sbynews, but joe's a straight shooter from Newwwwwwwwwwwwwww York. he may put his foot in his mouth once in awhile thats par for the choarse. also wboc & wmdt really suck just like dabury daily times.remember when wboc went to high def they said better programming & picture quality.they both still have problems airring quality production.they both have on air personalitys constantly moving on to greener pastures. Bubba