Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Is It Italian, Mexican, Or WHAT?

I had been speaking to some friends about new places to go and eat and one of them recommended we try Tony Caruso's in Delmar.

So, what the heck, we tried it. Once we walked through the door I thought, are we in the wrong place???

There were two Hispanic cooks in the kitchen. CARUSO'S, isn't that Italian? I thought, well, I was told they have a good New York Style Pizza, does it really matter if its an Italian cooking it or a Hispanic person.

We were seated at a table and the Waitress was very kind/polite. We ordered our drinks and knew right away what we wanted. We ordered a large cheese pizza and asked if they had any slices of their white pizza. She checked and said they had two slices, so we ordered those as well.

Once everything was delivered I noticed my Wife using her fork to scrape off the toppings on the white pizza. When I asked why she was doing that she said it was like cardboard, the crust, that is. It was extremely dry and flat out, no good at all.

The regular pizza we had ordered was ok, it just wasn't what you would call a New York Style Pizza. As we were sitting there eating the Waitress came up and asked if everything was ok. I told her the white pizza sucked and she immediately apologized and took it off the bill. I then said, can I ask you a question. Sure, she replied. I said, correct me if I'm wrong, (which I was not) but is that Mexican music playing on the stereo throughout the restaurant. She replied, we get that a lot. She added, most people ask why there are Hispanic cooks in an Italian Restaurant.

All in all, it was not satisfying. I'd expect this kind of thing at the Laurel Flea Market, not a stand alone restaurant in Delmar. It is what it is.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We tryed once when they first opened, it sucked. It wont last a year.

Anonymous said...

you want new york style pizza
Mioni's, west ocean city
worth the trip

Anonymous said...

I drive from Salisbury to Del mar for Pizza and spagetti to Delmar Pizza and I like the people.

Anonymous said...

Their speciality pizza is pretty good (fresh made..not the slices sitting around being reheated) but their subs and wraps are really good! Maybe not the best pizza around but they are always very friendly and accomodating!

John Hein said...

you know joe, you have to bash any pizza joint that isn't pani pit cause they are an advertiser.

Joseph Albero said...

Not true John.

Pani Pit Pizza closed their doors the other day and will reopen as Bella Pizza.

I tell it like it is. Believe me, there were two other adults present when we ate there and they firmly agreed.

If its good, I'll say so. If its not, I'll say so.

Now, that doesn't mean they won't make changes for the better, time will tell. However, for someone to tell me they have the best New York Style Pizza, that was complete BS. Not true, not even close.

Maybe the next time I visit I'll try their Mexican Pizza instead.

Anonymous said...

The mistake is getting slices. (you for ordering slices which i'd never do anywhere cause they sit around and don't reheat well & and them for even offering slices)

You should try the Chicken Caccatiore pizza. Their Chicken Piccata is amazing. They have some speciality hot subs that are very good as well.

They are very nice people, you should know not to judge based on ethnicity, as you loved Pani Pit which was run by Slovakians. Even Delmar Pizza is cooked by Mexicans (even if the owners are Greek and prepped by them).

I don't get why people love Delmar Pizza so much, as their dough is like overcooked toast. And I laughed out loud when someone above said they liked DP's spaghetti, as all of DP's sauces are horrible. The mariara sauce has a weird flavor and the other pasta dishes are way oversalted, reheated Sysco jar sauces.

I'd ask you to give Tony's another try, as it's nice for DP to have a little competition, I'm just sorry you hit them on an off night.

As for Mexican music, I've never heard any the nights I've been there, not that I doubt you, again I think it was a slow night you went and they just turned on something they liked.

Pani Pit was really good, when it was good, really bad when it was bad. That was their problem, they were so inconsistent. They even used different ingredients each time you ordered, and it would be cooked awesome one day, and just awful the next. Tried to give them as much business as could, but they were just too slow and too inconsistent. I'm anxious for the remaining partner to reopen and I hope all those things improve.

Anonymous said...

Delmar Pizza is the best and very community oriented !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I still go back to the days of the hepititis deal at Delmar Pizza. Stooped me in my tracks from going there. They have done a great job rebuilding the business. The truth is as a former pizza shop owner Caruso's crushes Delmar Pizza and Mioni's crushes Caruso's. I am only talking pizza here. All three places have great staff.


Joe I am like you why the mexicans in an Italian joint. Who owns it and why a kitchen staff full of hispanics??? Indentured maybe ? Who know it does not add up. Follow the money.

matt b said...

no one ever mentions de petrios on here. they have the best NY style pizza i've ever eaten and i used to live in NY.

FriendWhosADem said...

Pizza was good. Not great.
Subs were very good.
Service was good.
Prices are good.
I still don't hold out much hope against Delmar Pizza.
What hepatitis?