Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

PUT LIFE IN PERSPECTIVE

A relative of my wife’s family was called away in her sleep last night, at age 69. She had not been ill. Only God knows the time and the place.

She was still working, in a low paying job, to try and make ends meet. She was always cheerful, and always provided the meals for family gatherings. Some of her dishes were legendary, and one of the few reasons why I regret being separated from the region where I grew up.

She was no great person, and the world will not remark her passing. One less old person.

And yet her children and grandchildren are heartbroken and will be missing her. She was a remarkably good wife, a good mother, and a good woman, always.

Her soul will exist when planets decay and fall from their orbits, and stars burn out, and those who think they do God’s work will still be regretting their carelessness.

More

5 comments:

Tee said...

Sorry to hear of your loss... thoughts and prayers sent your way.

Blessings

Anonymous said...

if, in some eyes, she was no great person...who amoung us could be?

Anonymous said...

awwww. I had a friend recently pass away at 56 of cancer. His lifestyle caught up with him. Rest his soul. I am sure his soul is right where it should be. Bless his heart.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your losing, especially in so untimely a fashion, your relative. It sounds as if she made every moment of her life count. Only one observation: I am, like her, 69 (soon). I don't see myself as an "old person." Sixty-nine is still way too young to go.

Anonymous said...

This simple life is all I have ever wanted. My families love is all I need. This woman is someone I would have admired, had I known her. Your memories of her will serve as wonderful lessons of what is truly important in this life and with this posting, lessons to others as well.