Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, January 08, 2010

A Sad Reality In Delmar

Hi Joe.

The reason I'm writing , last night we notice a medium size dog came to our porch in Delmar DE. when I looked for it, it took off. I had thought it when home but to my dismay upon opening the door this morning there she was curled up on our door mat. She is an older dog but look like she had puppies at one time in her past. I was at a loss knowing I couldn't keep her cause of my Granddaughter can not handle dog hair. So I did what I didn't want to do and called the local police dept to see if there was any way animal control could help. The Officer was so kind he came out and saw what I saw a very under weight dog, that was very bad shape. He called SPCA of DE they agreed to send someone to get her if she was held as so not to leave. This dog could bearly walk let alone run. So we waited, I got some food, she eat it out of my hand ever so gentle. I'm sure she was a special dog to someone at one time. To me it was heart breaking cause I know she probably wont make it. How could someone be so cruel to do this a sweet dog. I could count each and every rib on this poor thing. The Camden DE SPCA has her. The lady that came to get her told me they would do all they could for her and handle her with up most care. They came in matter of an hour to get her,the officer waited along with me till they took her. My hope is that they can help her and know they will. I hope that whom ever left this dog, has a broken heart cause they sure broke that dog's heart forgetting her. I would send a picture but couldn't get it off my phone to sent. Besides I know it would upset them to see her as much as it upset us.

Thanks for listening, and again thanks to SPCA and Delmar police dept.

Terrie

9 comments:

Margo said...

Terrie, SPCA and Delmar Police: thank you for being a guardian angel for this poor dog.

You reap what you sow....I can only hope that the person responsible for mistreating this animal will experience the same tenfold. I have no tolerance for anyone who mistreats the innocents of this world.

Anonymous said...

:( awww poor fur baby....

10001110101 said...

So many animals have been abandoned since the housing issue hit. One renter who moved out of our family rental and left his cat in the closet. By the time we found it, it had died. Another sign of the times of how messed up things are.

Tina Delmar said...

you forgot the part that camden spca had to come because Delmar no longer has a animal control officer.

Anonymous said...

Tina, what difference does it make, really?
Yes, Delmar does not have an animal control officer because the one we had retired.
I'm sure we will get a new one and the next one hopefully will be more competent and not just be milking the town for hardly working.

Tina Delmar said...

True, My only point was that there is not one closer than camden. As many as stray animals there are in delmar. We need someone competent.

Anonymous said...

Terrie, God bless you for being a kind and caring person. I'm sure he was watching as you helped this poor dog. A better life awaits her, I'm sure.

terrie said...

Thank you joe for posting my letter,i can tell you even animals have feelings, i know i saw it in her eyes when i feed her.and that i wouldnt trade for any vertal word.and when i put blanket on her, i could see her thankyou. i feel good at what little i could do. and to the person that left her,you miss the most wonderful thankyou , ever.

Anonymous said...

Terrie im sure this animal will forever be grateful to you for rescuing it but have to say one thing..in defense of the possible owners how do we not know that this dog ran off and has been unable to find..and just maybe because there arent alot of people like you people didn't take him in to help him...lady i work with had a dog run off that she dearly loved..he is still gone and she searches endlessly for him..(no this isn't hers)...God bless u for helping him in this cold frigid weather...