Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 14, 2009

A Question For Our Readers

"I've noticed since WBOC went digital that there are many "in and out" moments. When it gets bad I turn to WJZ. Why does the local channel seem to have a bad connection? It happens mostly in the afternoon and evening.

I've also noticed that WBOC will go to a commercial in the middle of a show. For ex. During 60 Mins last night WBOC went to several commercials in the middle of the show. Yes, I know tennis ran a little late which made everything else run late. Maybe it was a scheduled commercial time slot BUT isn't anyone there at WBOC to make sure things like this doesn't happen? I switched to WJZ just to see if it was a mistake, which it was. OR WBOC is as biased as the Daily Times is since this happened during an Obama interview. Before anyone jumps all over me about Obama, he's not what this is about. This is about me trying to watch a local channel and having to switch to another CBS channel due to the many problems WBOC has had since switching to digital.

Is anyone else having this problem with WBOC?"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes i have the same problems it jumps in and out all the time it also gets bad on windy evening with alot of rain but WMDT is the worst for it it will black out and stay out and heaven forbid you try to call them cause NO BODY ANSWERES THE PHONE....

Anonymous said...

Yes, WBOC is out more than it is on. Doesn't matter whether it's sunny, cloudy or raining! It is absolutely miserable to try and watch anything! We have the same problems with WMDT, too. Rabbit ears were better than this reception!!!!

Chimera said...

I ahet the new digital broadcasting.its all or nothing.At least in the old analog days you could get A picture,even if it was snowy you could still watch.Not so now.

Anonymous said...

Seems our local channels would come in better than the others. I'm going to stay with the "others". Yes, I agree with WMDT. There's only one show I watch on that channel so it's not a great loss.

Anonymous said...

i had that problem with wboc so i have switched to wmdt and i like the change better.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had many probelms with WBOC, but WMDT is the worst. It hardly ever comes in and I live about 5 miles from their tower.

Anonymous said...

That is one of the drawbacks of a digital transmission. With analog, just as another poster stated, when the signal becomes weak, you still get something. An analog receiver is designed to receive a specific freqency, amplify, and display that signal with sound. Old television transmitted the video using AM and the audio using FM all in a 5MHz wide signal.
The new digital broadcast uses a much smalled amount of spectrum to deliver a digital information signal that the digital receiver must decode to display. If the signal is weak, the receiver can't decode and you get nothing!
With digital, it either works, or it doesn't. No in between.
If you are having trouble with pixelization or blackouts, you need to upgrade you antenna to a higher gain.

Sorry if I put you to sleep, hope it helps.

Anonymous said...

Just put a paper clip where the antenna goes.

Anonymous said...

5:48 please explain, are you saying unplug the antenna and stick a paper clip in the place where the antenna would plug in?

Anonymous said...

I really HATE digital!
Signal was much more reliable the old way!
Instead of spending all that money on new newsroom stuff, etc. I wish WBOC had spent the money to get it right.
I do not find these problems on WMDT but I really do not like watching their station. They're news is awful.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that people are finally complaining. I have cable at home but at work we use the converter box and an antenna and the picture freezes and blips in and out, it's just like when satelite tv first came out. It's horrible!