Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

I Want To Be A United States Senator, Or Congressman

I looked at these two "jobs", and I'd like to have one of them! I know, without any doubt whatsoever, that I could do either one of them, at least as well as the people who currently hold them, they are a "piece of cake!" Giving it much thought:

I can vote to pass legislation that I didn't write, and haven't read either, I can do that!

I can hire a staff, and have one of them write my legislation for me, I can do that!

I can give up Social Security, for a pension at full salary for life, I can do that!

I can give up Medicare, for treatment at taxpayer's expense, by the best doctors, in the best facilities,
I can do that!

I can live quite comfortably on $170,000.00 per year, I can do that!

I can vote to raise my own salary, I can do that!

I can [as Charlie "tax man" Rangel], "get into", driving around in a taxpayer financed and fueled, Cadillac Escalade, I can do that!

I can learn to speak out of both sides of my mouth, I can do that!

I can learn to lie, cheat, and steal, I can do that!

I can "forget" to pay my taxes, I can do that!

I can ignore my constituents, I can do that!

I can "study" Saul Alinsky, I can do that! (and have)

I can take "business trips" to exotic places, at taxpayer's expense, I can do that!

I can hold my nose, and kiss the asses of "special interest" groups, I can do that!

I can cater to the liberal media, and hollywood, I can do that!

I can bullshit with the best of them, that comes from being a retired police officer, I can do that!

Uh oh! I can't ignore the Constituition, the Bill of Rights, "Old Glory", or the Founding Fathers, I can't do that!

And, I can't turn my back on our military, I could never do that!

So in closeing, I could do most of the things that those legislators do, some of them despicable;

but I could never "turn" on this Nation, or its military, no I couldn't be a United States Senator or Congressman, because then I couldn't face myself in the mirror every day, I just couldn't do that!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a better man than 90% of those now in office!!

Anonymous said...

every person in congress should be required to memorize this entire passage. if they fail to follow it they should should be shackled and be made to listen to a recording of nancy pelosi talking her bs at 150 decibals for 6 months. thanks sjd

Anonymous said...

You forgot one.

You can serve ONE term and then get that same pay for the rest of your life as your retirement package. I'm sure COLA is added on when needed too.
THAT is one thing that many Americans don't know! Do away with just that ONE benefit and how much money can we save???

joealbero said...

anonymous 10:44, That's just wrong! You cannot get a lifetime retirement as a Congressman.

A Congressman has to serve 20 years before they get that benefit. That's why Gilchrest was so pissed off, he had 18 years in.

Anonymous said...

I was actually referring to the Senator position. Sorry I didn't make the connection clear.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

I think their retirement benefits are prorated based on years served. Even though it may be less than 20 years, they still receive a very nice stipend for life.

This could be verified with the local congressional office.