Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Joe Holloway


I attended a Wicomico county council meeting today at 10AM for the first time ever. I felt really guilty the whole time I was there, because I was supposed to be working at my job. However, I was extremely impressed with Joe Holloway. This man takes common sense and applies it to government.

I know Joe from when he operated Holloway's Store in Parsonsburg. I remember going there as a kid to rent video game cartridges and seeing him standing behind the counter chewing a big cigar. When I recently started paying attention to local politics this summer, I was suprised and encouraged to learn he was on the council.

The critical event that made me interested in local politics was the recent tax assessment of my properties. Over a three year period, the county wanted to increase my assessment of one rental property from approximately 98K to approximately 168K. I went to the tax office and was only able to get it reduced to approximately 158K. The property is a one acre lot with a small bungalow that is about 100 years old, located between chicken farms. My property taxes are escrowed, and my monthly note on the place has increased 12% since I bought it 10 years ago due to taxes. The increase is actually probably larger since I'm not carrying homeowner's insurance on it anymore.

Last week I went to a City Council meeting and realized that most of what they do at these meetings is spend money. I'm currently in a tight spot with my rental, since my tenant's wife lost her job in the economic downturn and they're two months behind on the rent.

Today John Cannon announced that the county was losing about $6 million in state funding. I immediately smelled taxes. There were two ladies that came and cried about not having enough money for their agencies. First was Patricia Peterson, Director of Finance, who lamented the furlough days, and decrease of income for county employees. During her dialouge, my heart was about to explode out my chest. I work in the private sector, and my income is at an all time low. Welcome to reality, Pat! I didn't catch the name of the next lady, but she was with the Health Dept. She tried to imply there was a huge flu epidemic coming and she needed cash to save us. Then she whined about not having enough manpower to do drainage testing. Joe asked if these services could be contracted out, and she replied that county employees would have to "watch" the contractors work to make sure they didn't make mistakes. This is nonsense in my opinion. Joe spoke out about frivolous spending projects for a new Civic Center and a new Library when the county is in a cash-poor situation. His final statement about fiscal conservatism earned him a well deserved round of applause.

Source.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was a nice guy wasnt he, I remember going into that store and getting lunch over the years. Foreiners own it now dont they?

Anonymous said...

Joe Holloway asks some good questions, I'll give him that. But most of the time he would already know the answers if he bothered to prepare for the meetings like everyone else on the Council.

Anonymous said...

I'll support Joe Holloway for County Exec. in next years election!

Anonymous said...

what "frivilous" spending projects at the civic center ?...name just one...political grandstanding

joealbero said...

anonymous 11:18, Oh, you wet pants liberal you! I guess a $100,000,000.00, (that's one hundren million dollars for those of you who can't read numbers) projected figure for a new Civic Center isn't frivilous. Get a grip!

Anonymous said...

Joe Holloway is a self serving politician. To the kid that wrote this. What are you one of his live inss kids. Yea he had a great store. Then he sold to terrorist supporters. The store was closed by the feds. I guess old Joe could not get max buck from the local people that attempted to purchase his store.

Joe blew the whistle on the pen deal. Who paid for Joe's ticket to the Tawes Clam bake ?? You and I.

Joe ask ? s that support his agenda. Joe is about Joe. Never doubt that for a minute.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

what "frivilous" spending projects at the civic center ?...name just one...political grandstanding

11:18 AM

Gary Mackes is that you posting while on the county clock again. I thought Sbynews was blocked from county computers. Oh that's right, everyone's, but the department heads.

Anonymous said...

Call the county council office and inquire who paid for Holloway's ticket to the clam bake. I think you will find Joe paid for it like he does most if not all events.

Anonymous said...

12:18 The "kid" that wrote this is 35 years old.

LOL

Anonymous said...

Joe (both):

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Joe: There has been NO DECISION made on building a new civic center...read the report..it's a public document. The Executive has also promised a series of public hearings before HE makes any recommendations....stop sensationalizing and try REPORTING

Anonymous said...

12:55...your ignorance shows in your post

Anonymous said...

12:18...then you must have flunked out of HS

joealbero said...

anonymous 2:45, Joe Holloway brought it up with exactly those numbers and what should be cut out of the budget. I'm NOT sensationalizing anything.

Oh, I guess I should stop reporting the TRUTH too, right?

Anonymous said...

Joe: Problem is there is nothing in the budget regarding construction of a new building.No decision is going to be made without an independent economic feasibility study and public hearings.Citizens will, rightfully,have thier say and the findings of the citizens commission will be independently evaluated.No one is going off half cocked regarding the future of the civic center.

Anonymous said...

Joe H. is the most conservative elected council person sitting. When a voter has a county problem, all they need to do is call Holloway and he is willing to try and help them.

Anonymous said...

Are we all in agreement that Mr. Hottie should attend more County sessions?

Anonymous said...

No doubt, he's hot. If he wore a Hawaiian shirt with surfboard pictures that would have been even better.

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMMMMM yeah.