Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

City Park Issues

Joe,

I don't know if you walk around the trail that connects the Park, Zoo, and Shoemaker Pond or not. It was the best made trail and cost taxpayers more than a million buck 10 years ago. During the improvements to the water plant at the park, heavy dump trucks etc were allowed by the old mare to drive on the section between the zoo and
bridge. Look today at the huge ruts filled with water to breed mosquitoes.

The stones used originally were quite fine and it made for a cushioned base that enabled an old guy like myself to get some exercise by walking around some beautiful area. The rocks that were the driveway to the water plant over the time of construction have spread all over from the tennis courts to the fountain. I have twisted my ankle twice due to these rocks. In some areas, a thin layer of mud covers the path and is slicker than slick. I have to walk off the path to avoid a fall.

The old mare promised that the path will be put back in it's original condition as it was a clause in the contract. Seems either she lied or someone never followed thru. I noticed they spent a bundle putting new blacktop down on the water plant driveway so they don't deal with the large stones and left the park pathway in it's
unsafe shape.

Thanks in advance.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This person must have been reading my mind. After not having been to the park in a few months, I went for a bike ride in this same area,same day. I have a better chance of suviving being hit by a car on the street.The paths are horrible. Loose dirt, mud, rocks. Forget about walking. As I rode around I noticed the same cars(male only occupied/orange Chevy compact and the driver's hair matches the car) moving from one parking area to the next...Hmmmm...., dogs(pitbull with owner)unleashed,vagrants wandering around.Everytime I enter the park I feel less and less safe. How about a volunteer citizen patrol with radios.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, pal, but that money will be used to refurbish the abandoned water "standpipe" so it will look real nice.

Anonymous said...

No the money will be used to put nice mudflaps on the new hazmat truck. cool

Anonymous said...

I live very near the park and there is absolutely no way at all that I would go for a walk in that park. That place is absolutely unsafe. They (the city) do not take care of it as they should and 1:26 PM has it right - unleashed dogs, vagrants, ruts, mud, goose poop, dog poop - not worth getting hit over the head or coming home with crap all over your shoes. Poor excuse for a park. It has lacked attention for so long that it is just a hangout for those who wish to intimidate and/or injure others. No thanks.

Anonymous said...

Having police sub-stations will help fix safety in the park - NOT

Anonymous said...

Maybe the new Hazmat truck can go sit in the mud and work on cleaning up the toxic crap from the geese and the dogs.

Anonymous said...

The walk/jog/bike paths through the woods there used to be the best around. Now they are all grown up. I'm going to take some pictures one day.

Anonymous said...

First time I ever got to third base was on them trails. I thought I had really done something.