Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

WARNING, WalMart Scam

Hi Joe,

This has happened to 2 people that I personally know in Salisbury. Please warn Wal-Mart customers. This could happen anywhere you can get cash back, not just at Wal-Mart.

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford DE Walmart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK. My co worker called Walmart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. There is a scam going on. The cashier will ask for cash back and hand it to her friend who is the next person in line. Please, Please , please check your receipts right away when using debit cards. The store has the cashier under investigation now. We can only pray that she is caught very soon.

I am adding to this. My husband and I were in WalMart North Salisbury and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email. Please be aware.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Real bright to put this on here. Now im fairly certain if she reads this blog, she is going to either stop or leave knowing she is wanted!!!

Reconciled1 said...

Thanks for the heads up Joe.

Anonymous said...

Thats not a scam perpetrated by walmart- Thats pure and simple being a thief!! Hopefully, Walmart can catch the culprits and FIRE THEM! and PROSECUTE THEM!

Anonymous said...

Let me catch one of these low lifes taking my money!

Anonymous said...

I used to work at walmart and sometimes if you are not paying attention to the machine you can press the cash back option and not notice... I know there were many times when I would go to give people their money and they were dumbfounded because they didn't know that they were getting money back and I would have to show them on their receipt where it said cash back, now I have not worked at walmart for about 3 years and I know that the machines were updated so I dont think the problem is as bad, but customers just pay attention and be aware dont just always assume its the cashier because more times then not it isnt their fault.

Anonymous said...

Yet another good reason to ensure you process the transaction as a CREDIT transaction instead of a DEBIT.

When you use debit, in addition to this scam, you don't have any of the credit card protections.


NEVER enter your PIN at a point of sale terminal. Merchants try hard to get you to enter your pin, as it is more money for them... you normally have to hit a cancel button once or twice, and keep saying credit.

Insist on a credit transaction! If you don't know how to do so, ask the cashier.

Anonymous said...

That never happens to me at local stores.

Anonymous said...

Report problems to mgt as soon as they happen. If you still have the receipt call the store and report. They have video of EVERY register and it never gets erased. You may help get rid of the bad apples. The reported cashiers will be watched closely for the future.

Moon Willow said...

"The machine messed up..."

Yeah, and the check is in the mail, we're from the government and we're here to help you, I can't get you pregnant, and no, that dress doesn't make you look fat...

Anonymous said...

Why are so many people using the DEBIT option? You get hit with additional fees for doing that!
Use the CREDIT option and not only do you avoid those little fees, you also don't have to worry about this scam!

Anonymous said...

Funny Granny.

Anonymous said...

I knew it was funny when this happened to me a few months back at North Salisbury. I knew I didn't hit that 20 bucks cash back. Unfortunately for the girl on the register that I went through I always check my reciepts cause I dont' trust anyone.

Anonymous said...

lol to the person who said "it's not the cashiers fault if they accidentily press the cash back button". HELLO YES IT IS **MORON**

and I wouldn't believe for 2 seconds that it was an accident if it happened to me. I'd reach right across the counter and punch him or her right in the nose. accident or not. that's real vigilante justice biznatches

Anonymous said...

cashiers can not select cash back on their side. register does not allow it. use credit if you dont know how to use debit.

Anonymous said...

Um its not the cashiers fault at all. There is no "cash back" button on the cashiers end. Plus its on every hoax site out the. Pay attention to those readers, people are pushing the wrong buttons