Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, May 11, 2009

Taps



Folks,

I am sure that you have seen this clip before.

This brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.

BUT!! Maybe I'm old. The traditional TAPS is one of the most moving pieces of music that "tear" me up.

The others!!

"Amazing Grace"

"Eternal Father" Strong to Save" (NAVY HYMN)

If you have never attended/been part of a Military Funeral, you will never experience feelings so deep that you will NEVER BE ABLE FORGET! I have been part of ONLY one.

In 59/60, USS Wasp CVS-18 was operating in Caribbean Sea when we had an explosion on the hanger deck forward. My "cube" mate Charlie Brown ( New Hampshire) died and I volunteered, with other ship mates, to be part of the Military Funeral.
Have you watched closely at the faces of the squad folding the FLAG over the casket????????? Eight of US were part of Charlies service. Meeting his family was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. It almost felt like we were being thanked for trying to save Charlie.

After TAPS and the presenting of the Flag to Charlies family, eight guys got together and cried like babies.

The message here????? I'm not sure!!

When you see (on TV) a service for one of our military members, feel for those stern faced men and women putting a fellow to rest. It's not all Military precision, it's heart felt Love for friend, family and country regardless of the branch we serve in.
May God bless America and the Military that has served this great country for generations.

Dave Suiter
"On The Road Again"

Alton Grizard
Arlington Cemetery
USNA
Navy Seal
R.I.P.

One of the saddest, most difficult days of my entire life, trying like a fool to be strong for others. I was not as successful as I had planned. Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT WAS SO SO GREAT GOD BLESS ALL THE MILITARY AND THIER FAM. FOR THEM WE HAVE OUR FREEDOM THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Anonymous said...

1974 the US Army, friends and family buried a good man and a dedicated soldier in Summerville, Georgia.

R.I.P.

Spec. Johnny Elkins, Charlie Co. 3rd/325, 82nd Airborne.

Reconciled1 said...

Its not that you're old. I'm only 42 and I cry when I hear Taps played.

Reconciled1 said...

Never seen anyone hold a trumpet quite like that to the side of her mouth but wow can she play. Beautiful tone...

Native Son said...

I was born in 1959, and I can remember several times when my father (who passed away five years ago), would hear taps on the TV and would immediately turn the TV off and leave the room.
I remember being very young and asking mom "why is daddy crying?"
She answered with "when your daddy was in the war, he heard that played so many times for his friends that he never wanted to hear it again!

Before he passed away, he had told my mother "make sure you don't play taps or fire any rifles at my funeral."
We honored him by having an officer and the flag draped coffin, with the final salute from the officer!
It was very quiet and honorable, just as he wanted it!
So, I can see how just the first three notes of taps can bring a very strong man to tears!

D. Powell

Anonymous said...

That young lady is phenomenal!

cgilbert said...

Taps is by far the most emotionally charged 24 notes ever played on any instrument for any occasion.

ocfan said...

Actually, she is not playing Taps. It's Il Silenzio...an italian horn solo. Taps was written from a man from Utica, New York.

Anonymous said...

6:43 "Actually, she is not playing Taps."

I was going to make a similar comment. I'm pretty sure that Rosso borrowed from Taps. Anyway, it was well played for someone so young.