Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 27, 2009

A Letter To The Editor

Joe,

I attended tonight’s city Council meeting and had the opportunity to speak publicly my opinion on Urban Salisbury. I have never attended a council meeting of any kind in my 55 years, but I want you to know that because you and Jim Ireton informed me of facts and possible outcomes, I used my constitutional right to free speech to press an agenda that needed to be passed.

As a county resident 100 yards from the city line, I would not usually even be aware of the council agenda, and neither would my daughter who is an SU student and town homeowner, if not for you.

Because you do what you do, my daughter and I counted 64 attendees in the chambers, and 8 or 9 outside who were not able to get in to the room.

With this showing vs. the usual 6-15 attendees, Urban Salisbury lives to continue their good work for our community.

I would like to present this meeting as an example to the citizens of Salisbury that even though this measure was on the old “3-2” fast track, tonight the world changed because of public outcome. Let this be a precedent: keep up with the agenda and be there to comment on it. The Council has to listen to the public. If “public” ain’t there, well, it’s 3-2.

I’m so proud of Urban Salisbury’s work!

Tonight “WE” beat “3-2”.

Gary Bullard

G. Bullard Const. Co.
30423 Bennett Rd.
Salisbury, MD 21804
T: 443-523-0029
F: 206-339-3183
BullardCC@Gmail.com
www.gbbuildgreen.com

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bullard:

This was a "Done deal" (as we used to say) before the meeting began. Smith, Comegys and Shanie can read the election results, too, and now have suddenly embraced Ms. Campbell as their cohort. The SS Loveboat has arrived, but could depart just as quickly.

I didn't watch on TV but hope you or others asked Bubba and the weasel why they supported Barrie a couple months ago when she tried to kill Urban Salisbury. That's the $64,000 question!

Anonymous said...

You must have gotten there early because there were more than 8 people in the hallway, it was SRO out there until the council voted unanimously.

Anonymous said...

How long before it's back to the usual 5-10 involved residents in attendance. A month or two at most.

Anonymous said...

Help is here! Go Mayor Ireton!

Gary Bullard said...

Actually, I left after the unanimous vote, and turned on pac 14 when I got home. I saw about 6 people there when the wwtp was being discussed, so it took about 15 minutes, 11:45. I hope Salisbury Citizens will keep working on participating in our local government. I truly enjoyed last night's meeting and urge people to go each week if they can.
Gary Bullard

Anonymous said...

It was nice to see more than the Dirty Dozen there last night, and we need people to keep attending.

It's OK to watch on PAC-14 occasionally, however a gripe will never help you at home. Get up and tell them right to their face. Get with the program or get ousted.

Anonymous said...

Why did Bubba have his back turned to Jim Ireton for most of the night? Is he such a sore loser?

Anonymous said...

For the first time in years, Council listened to the people and didn't argue like kids. The crunch had come for Urban Salisbury and the Mayor and Council acted like adults. Now they have to prove they can behave like adults for the rest of their terms.
A great job by all of them. The people of Salisbury want you to keep at it.

Anonymous said...

I was there too. The unanimous vote for Urban Salisbury set off a loud, long, and memorable applause! I think the applause was just as much for the unanimous vote as for the vote for Urban Salisbury!

Anonymous said...

Can you just imagine Bubba reading those two proclimations and the request to the council that Jim read last night. Goot Gawd Almighty we'd have been looking at 9PM before he could have finished reading out them thar fancy wurds.

Anonymous said...

Joe and Mr. Bullard:

What's that "loud, sucking noise" that I heard while this was happening last night?

R. Perot

Anonymous said...

The unspoken choice given the council majority last night was either listen to what the citizens and taxpayers want or be replaced. They also know we won't wait another 2 years for them to come up for reelection.

Anonymous said...

I could not make it last night, but I was able to turn on the tv just as the vote was being taken. When it passed and everyone cheered, I was so proud of every one of you who took the time to show up, and I was proud of our new mayor. The people have spoken, and we want chenge! Hopefully, the Gang of Three will see that and will do what the people want.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck today Joe.

Astonesthrow said...

I too was there last night, and find it interesting that the 3 stooges jumped on the Urban Band Wagon...

Could it have been all of the calls and letters finally
opened their eyes??? I mean really, it's about time they pull their heads out of the sand and looked at the BIG picture.

I almost swallowed my gum when Shanie said that she'd like to see a Dollar Store put in down town! Are you kidding me??? There are dollar stores ALL over the place here. We do NOT need one down town too. The whole idea is to beautify and trust me there is nothing beautiful about a dollar store. It screams cheap and tacky.

It was great to see a full house last night and I was happy to have been a part of it. Change is coming Salisbury! :)