Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 20, 2009

Delegate Mathias Recognizes Cub Scout Douglas Buck






Back in March 2009 we presented THIS ARTICLE on a wonderful young man who caught his Teacher as she was falling from almost fainting in the Classroom. This was the young man who was invited to the White House where he got to meet President Obama.
On Saturday, Douglas and his Parents visited Congressman Kratovill's new Office in Downtown Salisbury. Delegate Jim Mathias was in a hurry to leave as he had three additional meetings to go to that day and as I knew he was heading out the door to get to his next meeting, the next thing I knew he was delighted to see this young man in uniform and wanted to say hello. He quickly learned who this young man was and immediately reached into his pocket and presented this young man with a Maryland Desk Flag. He then asked if I'd take a moment to get a picture of the two together.
I think most of you know, I have known Jim Mathias for many, many years and I enjoy Jim & Kathy Mathias like they were immediate Family. I can't tell you just how many times we have gone or been places together where Jim ALWAYS stops and gets on his knees to talk to children. This day I thought I was about to watch Jim reach into his pocket and pull out a couple of tickets to Jolly Rogers but instead he had something even better in mind.
Delegate Mathias told this young man he wanted to give him this Maryland Flag but he wasn't going to tell him what the Flag actually means, he wanted the young man to look it up and encourage him to be proud of what it symbolizes.
I encourage each of you to click on the link above and read this story we provided back in March. This is a pretty remarkable young man and his Parents are just as special. My hat is tipped to all within this story. It certainly made my day and it was an honor to meet you Douglas. Keep up the good work.
I don't care what anyone says about Delegate Jim Mathias, this guy loves children, loves Ocean City and loves the Eastern Shore. I can also tell you that this man works his tail off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug, we're all so proud of what you did. You're a wonderful young man.

Kimmie

Anonymous said...

Great job young man. Jim you are doing a great job as well keep up the great work.

Stoker said...

Way to go Doug!! You da man!!!