Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 20, 2009

ANOTHER SALISBURY NEWS EXCLUSIVE











No, this was not staged. No, I had absolutely no clue this was going on. On Saturday I was all over the place with Little League opening day just about everywhere you can think of. Then there was the Frank Kratovil Open House, Pork in the Park, man, it was simply a crazy day all around.
That being said, I decided to head over to Frank Kratovil's Office in Downtown Salisbury when I noticed the Plaza blocked off. I thought, maybe there's a Band playing on the Plaza or some kind of Arts event going on. I got 1/2 way up the hill by the whatever you want to call that thing near WMDT and I saw a Public Works truck and some people planting and cleaning up the Downtown Plaza. All I could think was, this is a nice sight.
As I continued to walk I could see Debbie Campbell and then our new Mayor Jim Ireton as well as several other people putting down mulch, sweeping the street and cleaning up what has been a mess all winter long.
Then I thought to myself, you know what, Gary Comegys kept saying how the Downtown Plaza was the most important project in Salisbury. He said, "If you're going to have landscaping, you must maintain that landscaping." Then it triggered in my head, YOU people really made the right choice here with Jim Ireton. Jim didn't run around saying he was going to do something like this, he's just doing it.
Comegys could have just as well been out there fulfilling his campaign promise as a Council Member, but he was full of sh!t, he never meant it and he would have said anything to get elected and the overflowing trash on the Plaza was absolute proof he truly doesn't care anyway.
No one got a Press Release on this clean up. No one was called. They simply wanted to do what was right and I happened to be at the right place at the right time, (like I usually am) and this is the end result.
While we had to move on to the Kratovil Open House, we did get to discuss some ideas on how to improve things on the Plaza and quickly came up with some things that just may help boost interest. Time will tell. Nevertheless, I wanted to share these pictures, especially the one of Mayor Ireton teaching Public Works how to PROFESSIONALLY hold up a rake.




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Jim!
Hope there's a big crowd at the inauguration tonight--we need to send a message to the council that we voted for change and we expect them to give the new mayor a chance if they want to get re-elected!

Anonymous said...

I think this is awesome!!!, I never seen Barrie cleaning up Salisbury, maybe instead of taking from the City they ALL should be giving back! is everyone listening

Anonymous said...

Change is coming and I do hope it is good. Certainly when you see too such qualified members of the Salisbury leadership team working to improve the city you have to be encouraged.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Salisbury is lucky to have these people!! Thank you Jim, Debbie, and everyone, Salisbury will be a better place!!

Anonymous said...

This should have been on the agenda at least every week.
I'm glad we have someone who works for the people. Good work , set the example. No thanks to Comegy, Barrie and Shanie!

Anonymous said...

The city always makes the downtown area pretty this time of year, just before the festival. I don't think this is something new???

Anonymous said...

The city might do this annually just before the festival however, Barrie Tilghman and Gary Comegys have NEVER been out there with a broom or shovel getting their hands dirty.

Anonymous said...

Jim sure does dress nice, doesnt he.

Anonymous said...

Now thats what I call CHANGE!

Anonymous said...

your right 10:59 but usually the taxpayers are (paying for it)with city employees doing the work!! not our elected officals. I,m really proud of you Mr. Ireton, councilwomen Campbell and all of those who helped with this project. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Leadership by example is what I ve always been taught. If your going to lead people and tell them what to do you should be able to do it or have already done it. Way to start off on the right foor Jim.

Anonymous said...

Could you get someone to remove the old lights choking the tree in front of Kampai? It's so sad to see that tree growing around the lights.

Anonymous said...

Actions speak louder than words.
GO JIM!