Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 20, 2009

A Rob/Brooke Mulford Update


Home from CHOP after Round 5 At long last it is me Brookie checking in with you all. Daddy came and picked me and Mommy up today and we are home in Salisbury. Round 5 of Chemo is behind us, just have to get thru the after effects the next few days. Monday after Easter we went to CHOP as you know and started round 5. This is a quick summary of my week. Monday night I was up a lot having to change sheets and diapers because of all the fluids I must take with this round.


By Tuesday morning I was getting sick and very tired. Today I also had to get a CT scan to see how the Chemo was working on my tumor. In order to get the scan I had to drink this stuff and because of all the fluids I could not. So I had to have a G Tube or feeding tube feed thru my nose, this was no fun! I was so worn out after today and so was Mommy and Grammy, it was a long day for everybody.


On Wednesday I was feeling a little better but still getting sick and not eating much. Mommy and I got a huge boost of spiritual uplifting when Reverend Patterson paid us a surprise visit. This especially gave Mommy a much needed lift. Thank you so much Reverend Patterson for giving my Mommy that extra boost of energy. A little later in the day Mommy got a surprise visit from Bill and Suzanne Hoover, friends from New Jersey. Grammy was here today as well. I also had some energy when I got my Easter baskets from Grammy and Aunt Johanna and Uncle Johnny. I got some stuff Mommy was not to happy with. I did have some smiles when Sara from Child Life helped me paint a couple piggy banks and do a scavenger hunt.


By Thursday we were into the routine of getting sick, not eating much and not getting much sleep because of all the fluids round the clock. It was a long day and night for everyone. Grammy was here most of the day trying to give Mommy a break.


Friday was here and I finished getting my fluids and Mommy packed up the room and Daddy loaded it into the van. We left the hospital around 2:30 PM and got to our house around 6PM. I was tired, but it was soon time for an ouchie. I really really did not want that today. Something different this time before going to bed I have a Wall-E pole at my house so I can get fluids for a few days at home to try to avoid another trip in an ambulance to CHOP, because of dehydration. Hopefully with all the precautions this time these few days go a little easier than round 3. Mommy should be a nurse by now with all the procedures she has to do for me. Well I think Daddy wants to say a few things and I am very tired. Just bless you all for all the prayers and thoughts you have been saying for me, God is hearing them all and guiding my fight against this cancer. I am going to BEAT THIS CANCER!!!


Sorry for not updating this week. With the weather turning it is a lot of work at Market Street trying to get the outside ready to go. I also made a comment that some people were confused on “The poodles are coming”. Next week the Poodle Club of America is in town and it is there big event of the year. People are in Salisbury from all over the world with there poodles and they all like to sit outside with there poodles. This is very busy for us and with the economy the way it is, this is a much welcomed event. If anyone is looking for something to do and you would like to see the most beautiful poodles in the world, take a trip to Salisbury and check it out!


Also next week is professional’s day and that is crazy for us. Then we go right into Salisbury Festival which is a big festival in downtown Salisbury. Hopefully that clears some things up on what is going on also in my life and delaying updates.


To update everyone; here is some things going on and will be going on with Brooke. After the CT Scan they said, “the tumor has not shrunk any more, but that is ok, because Brooke’s Doctors have decided to remove her adrenaline gland that the tumor is on.” This way they are sure to get the entire tumor, because it is in a tricky place to try to remove it. What this means is when Brooke was scheduled to begin round 6 she will instead have surgery on that day. We will go to CHOP on Monday May 4th for Pre Op stuff and then go back on Wednesday May 6th for the surgery. She will then have 3 to 4 days of recovery and then start Round 6. This will be between a 9 to 12 day hospital stay. We also do not know the extent of the amount of hearing loss that will occur from one of the Chemo drugs. Also after this we hope to have some more definite answers on when the Stem Cell Transplant will occur. This will be about a 30 day hospital stay.


I think that brings everyone up to speed. We have come a long way, but we still have a long way to go. I can not express enough to everyone out there the gratitude that Amy and I and our family as well can Thank You All for the Support, Thoughts, Prayers, Fundraisers and Concern that has blessed our family. Please know that it has made this difficult situation such a better situation and a manageable way to care for Brooke.


Along this journey it has changed and touched many lives, and because of everyone out there our family will be doing many things in the future to help others who may be less fortunate, raise awareness and establish funds to battle this terrible thing that no family, individual or especially a young child should have to go thru. For now our main focus is to do what’s best for Brooke and do all we can to help her BEAT THIS CANCER! I can tell you this; she is already working on her invitations for her Birthday Party in November!


Rob Mulford

6 comments:

Chimera said...

I do not know you but I am the mother of a 5 yr old girl and I cannot imagine what y'all are going through and I will keep you in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Way to Go Miss Brooke! I think you should have your picture on a box of Wheaties Cereal because you truly ARE an inspiration AND a hero!
Cindy

emo said...

images of Brooke from last week

http://www.brookemulford.com/pictureGallery.cfm?step=viewCategory&categoryID=11

image 14 is the reality here folks. please pray for Brooke and ALL children wearing her shoes.

Anonymous said...

God Bless You! Praying for you and your family. You all are so brave. I know Brooke is going to BEAT THIS!!!

Anonymous said...

After my tears stopped(they haven't), only then could I write this. Before I am a citizen, mechanic, musician, or husband, I am and will always be a father. I am ashamed to admit that it has been so long since I knelt and prayed. Tonight I pray. God bless you dear child. David

dinosaur said...

God bless you too, David. I believe that all of our prayers are heard...and help. Let's all keep this wonderful little girl and her family in our prayers every day.