Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 20, 2009

A Letter To The Editor

Hi Joe,

"I am surprised you have not posted any comments about the recent Holly Black disaster that took place in Salisbury. Do you know the Eastern Shore Regional Library had post cards distributed months ago inviting the public to the Holly Black presentation and the post card my son had said the Thursday, April 16th show would be at SU at 6:00. However, I read in another magazine that everything was really beginning at 4:30. When I got a hold of the contradictory information, I called the Regional Library office to find that the staff did not have a clue about this event - WOW. How unprofessional and this is a State Funded agency, a source of information - what else can you expect from the state.

I finally got an answer that confirmed the 4:30 movie. So I took a group of my son's friends to SU, I went to the information desk for directions and we were told that the movie for 4:30 had been cancelled. Then, as we were preparing to leave - I found out it had not been cancelled. Again, another State Funded Screw UP. We attended the presentation that Dr. Walker.

When we heard from Holly Black, I was not overly impressed. Yes, she has written many books and they are loved by teens/kids but she was not all that. I happened to over hear a few conversations from others around which were very negative.

Then the bomb dropped and I over heard an older gentleman who said his neighbor worked for SU and was some what involved with putting together this event. The Library paid over $10,000 to bring this author to town. My first thought was, but I thought the State of Maryland was issued budget cuts and my state dollars are being spent like this. This library system must be rich.
I thought the public libraries in our area are suffering with cuts, but what makes this Regional Library so special? I am just a little baffled by all of this. The unprofessional confusion really tells me they need to invest the money they have in their staff and more accurate publications."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly Black was in fact a real success. See the article from the Daily Times, http://www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009904170306. Ms. Black also made appearances at several of the public libraries on the shore and it was a delight to see an author with her reputation visit to our area.

Anonymous said...

While it is nice to see a well know author visit our area, at who's expense should it be? Why not a bookstore, or a company that generates profits from the public. Why a library that relies on state funds?

Anonymous said...

You fool. This is funded locally, not by the State. Seriously, why is this nonsense being posted here?

Reconciled1 said...

Joe,
My wife and I took our youngest son to see Holly Black on Thursday. We enjoyed it. There was a big crowd there and when it was time for her book signing, she gladly sat there for at least 2 hours that I know of. Signed each book and talked to each child when it was their turn. A couple of adults brought a box each of the books for her to sign. Can you say Ebay? We watched as she signed each one with courtesy and a smile. Once she signed each book, she took the time to get a photo with each child. It was at times very disorganized by how the lines were run and how it was arranged seating wise but all in all , we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. My son brought all five of his books from the series hoping she would sign them, not only did she sign them , she personalized each one with a little note. He was thrilled. I even told her that she didn't have too but she said " look you've been in line for quite some time, I would be glad to do that for you" There was also a secret phrase you could say and it earned you a Chapbook of her knew book she is writing called The White Cat. These are a hard find from authors and my son loves the fact he now has his copy. I thought I'd let you know, not everyone was displeased. Yes it had it's problems but they weren't on the side of Holly Black. It was on the side of the folks that ran the event.

Anonymous said...

If it was funded locally then who paid for it....

The person who was offering so much information at the session said the library paid. The library is not funded locally, they are a state funded organization. Read their website www.esrl.lib.md.us and their about section. They states "The ESRL, Inc. became a mandated state program July 1998 under House Bill 1233. Funding is realized from a state appropriation through the Maryland State Department of Education, Division of Library Development and Services...."

Funding is realized from where? a "state appropriation". The funds did not come from a local source.....

Now who is the fool?

Anonymous said...

When I arrived at 4:15 for the Holly Black event a woman sitting in the lobby told me that I should go home... she proudly proclaimed that she read in the newspaper that it was canceled and that she had to convince the poor college student who was at the information desk that the newspaper said so. She was not an employee of the library nor the university. Luckily just a few minutes latter people who actually were involved arrived and stating setting up books for sale. The event was not canceled at all and as far as I can tell there was no article in the newspaper saying that it was! This woman had already convinced several people to leave and had really confused the poor college student at the info desk who was making minimum wage to pass out maps of the university and had no idea what was going on. I don't know if this lady was trying to derail a great event or if it was an honest mistake but it certainly had nothing to do with the library. As for the postcards from the library, they gave the time Holly Black was scheduled to appear: The 4:30 time which was added latter was for the free screening of Spiderwick Chronicles which several hundred people attended. I'm not sure what any of that has to do with poor planning, these were two connected events. I think your first poster just has trouble reading. Holly Black met with over 800 kids while she was on the Eastern Shore for 3 days and many of those kids will be more inspired readers. You should have seen how excited they were, some grown-ups too. The only thing that didn't seem to keep to schedule was the fact that Ms Black signed every single book for the several hundred people waiting in line which delayed the start of her talk. One thing that says much about Salisbury is that I overheard Holly Black saying that she had never had such a great turnout for a book signing. Go Salisbury!

I don't know how much they paid her but I am sure there are plenty of big mouthed idiots who make more money and never inspire anyone to read!