Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, January 15, 2009

What Goes Around DOES Come Around

"I am writing this because of a response from a poster on one of Joe's blogs that said something to the effect...Who cares about the poor? Let them get a job like the rest of us.

This is a true story.

A couple of years ago, about October of that year, my room mate called me at work and said Cindy, Do you mind if I cleaned out the refrigerator and freezer. Knowing full well that we had just done it that prior weekend, I said..Ok..is something wrong ( this was like a password to say phone reception was bad and go to another room.) What he told me floored me.

Our elderly neighbor who watched her grandchildren while their parents worked came over and asked if we had any freezer burnt food or maybe leftovers that we did not want because she could not feed herself and the kids. She only got 20.00 a month in Food Stamps and her children never provided food for the kids. She and another elderly neighbor would combine their Food Stamps and share what they bought and one would cook breakfast, one would make lunch and they shared dinners. I told my room mate, clean it out all the way AND the cupboards. She has a lot of pride and only took a few things.

I stopped to the grocery store on my way home from work and bought 2 weeks worth of meals for her, the kids and the other neighbor. As an afterthought, I bought non edible items like toilet papper. When I pulled in my driveway, I backed my car up to her place, popped the trunk open and asked the kids to help me unload the groceries. They asked my why I was making them walk across the street and I said...No..these go to your house.

Needless to say, there were about 14 bags as well as milk, juice cartons and other items that were not bagged. The other neighbor happened to be there at the time and you would have thought it was Christmas! They opened every bag with ohhh's and ahh,s. I kept my emotions in check pretty well. Then they spied the giant pack of toilet paper. They were down to their last roll and had tried to split it between both places. I will admit, I lost it then and had to walk outside and I cried like a fool. I got a lot of hugs, kisses and thank you's and it really made my day and made my heart feel good.

Ok...now it is Christmas Eve and my room mate and I had been playing secret Santa to these nice folks but they did not know it. We watched as they left to go to church that night. About 8:30, we hear a knock at the door. It is all of them! Their children, the wives,the husbands and both neighbors. The children had spent the day making a special program for US! They stood in our livingroom in their Sunday best and sang over 6 Christmas caroles! We then were given hand made Christmas cards and some of the best cakes that I have ever had!

I have been lucky and have had many wonderful Christmas's with my family before. But I have to admit, this one was a Christmas that I will never forget! It was the best because they made me realize how great it is to help others. What goes around DOES come around! And the best part is, the adult children felt so bad that they all pitch in now and help with food and repairs. We ALL learned a lesson."

18 comments:

Two Sentz said...

That's a nice stroy.

Anonymous said...

I love to hear stories like that, I don't think people realize how bad some have it. There are people out there that actually need assistance, not because they are lazy but because they are really struggling. I've been there, I do well now but I thank God for that. At the same time, I don't forget what I have been through.God bless you and he will.

Anonymous said...

Wow I'm 65 years old and it made
me glassey eyed. That's how it used to be. Don't be surprised if this country doesn't experience some very bad times shortly. It will
draw people together if we can
get through the crime sprees that
go along with a depression.
(it is not a recession)

Anonymous said...

Well, you made me cry.

Bless "Cindy and the Roommate."

Reality is, there are a LOT of poor people who are working -- the working poor -- and a lot like the grandmothers who "work" taking care of their grandkids.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Thanks for what you did, and thanks for sharing with everyone.

Anonymous said...

You know, stories like this occur continously each day, but especially during the Holidays as we are more and more attuned to the needs of those who have little. I recently heard of a story about a Maryland State Trooper who went to a call for servive in Worcester County dealing with a family. The issue was someone had broken into their house and stolen all of the "goodies" the family had, which wasn't much. I don't have all the details to the facts except shortly after taking the report and speaking with the family, the Trooper went and donated and provided over $100.00 of his personal money to help the family out for the holidays. Several of his shift partners helped pick up a few things as well. This wasn't an order from a senior supervisor nor was it prompted....it was a good hearted sole trying to help out a family in need.

Everyone hears horror stories each day and police officers/fire personnel and EMS staff deal with these issues each day. It may be giving a ride to someone walking down the street in this horrific cold, it may be offering to lift a heavy box into a car for someone, it might even be opening the door for someone at the WAWA. What ever it is, the key factor is we are all humans and each day someone needs a little help.

Cudos to the Troopers in Berlin, who ever you are. Let everyone make a note and try and help someone else in need this year. Goodness knows in 2009 we may all need a helping hand.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there is a way Joe could collect names (or addresses of some needy people around the area--I'm thinking of families with young kids or elderly people. I know there are organizations out there to help people in need, but oftenttimes their pride won't allow them to go ask for help, but their neighbors might know they need help. I would not want to embarass anyone, so maybe there is no way to do this. But this story just made me want to help out. I give to charity, did the Salvation Army thing, but a simple bag of groceries and some toiletries can make a huge difference. Anyone have any ideas how we could do more of this?

Anonymous said...

Count me in! I would love to help someone who TRULY needs it. My heart goes out to older people, especially...they've "done their time" in this world and shouldn't have to decide whether to buy medicine or food. I don't have a lot, but I am willing to share what I have with anyone who is in need.

Sean said...

Thats a great story. I often do many things like this for people that are in need. I want or take no credit of the things I do. I ALWAYS doing it undercover so no one feels awkward or obligated to do anything in return. I know there are some truly needy people out there that have a hard time getting the help they need. The sad part is it is very difficult to identify these people most times. There are a lot of people that refuse to help others because of all the scam artist in the world. We see 3rd and 4th generation welfare recipients that are just to lazy to work asking for a hand out. It makes me sick. Our elders are often the ones that are in need. If you are interested in doing something for a needy family the best thing to do is ask a church if they can refer you to someone that really needs it.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed there are working poor.
Several years back, I found myself unemployed at the same time I was going through a rough divorce.
A friend sent me to a church who had a food bank. They gave me 4 bags of groceries and even asked me to be present while they loaded the bags in case there was something I didn't like and would not eat.
I thought that was wonderful. It prevented them from putting something in the bag that I would just throw out and then it would be wasted instead of going to another person who needed it.
When I got the groceries home, I made a list of every item in the bags.
I kept this list until I got back on my feet. Once I did, I went to the grocery store and bought everything that was on my list they had given to me and took those items along with one extra bag of other items back to the church pantry so that someone else could be helped.
Talk about a good feeling! Wow. It still sends shivers down my spine when I think about it and yes, also puts a smile on my face.

Anonymous said...

I just want to remind everyone that The Salvation Army is on the job 365 days a year - "doing the most good", as their slogan says, for those who need it the most. While the Christmas campaign is certainly the most visible activity they do, The Salvation Army helps people all year long.

The community is encouraged to volunteer their time, donate useable goods, donate food to the food pantry or donate money to help the Army help others. Even donations of things like copy paper and other office supplies would help the administrative staff.

Many people, especially those who may need help for the first time, are reluctant to reach out. As friends and neighbors who see need, please be sensitive as you encourage them to call The Salvation Army or other local organizations that may be able to provide relief.

We're all in this life together. Let's do our best to help and support each other.

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful thing to do. If these types of things were done more often rather than less often,
what a great place this would be to live. Sadly, our goverment is doing less and less because in reality these unfortunate people
have nothing to do to help stimulate our economy. Many are being left behind with no hope.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Another reason why this site is so powerful, Thanks Joe!

Anonymous said...

Certainly gives you hope in these
problem times.My goodness it's cold down here in Nanticoke today.
But that's OK , we got each other.

Anonymous said...

Kevin Griffin 10:04am: The trooper was TFC Chris Snyder. He went out that night and bought Christmas presents for the kids & delivered them the next day. Upon hearing this, several other troopers pitched in, as well as other local law enforcement agencies. TFC Snyder doesn't want any recognition for this, but he certainly deserves it!!

Chimera said...

Great story-gives you hope for the human race.

Anonymous said...

this is wonderful....i to give as much as i can and dont mind doing it at all. I quite often donate to the salvation army because i know what they do for the community. Jesus said when you have done this to the least of my brothers you have done it unto me. so remember that good deed does not go unnoticed. Angels walk the face of the earth in disguise, so even if you dont get your rewards here in this life you will in the hereafter. God bless you all.

Lalou

Anonymous said...

My group just had a meeting with a speaker from a local mission that we help with food. Part of the meeting attendance requirement was to create centerpieces from canned and boxed and bagged non-perishable items. The table that collected the most in value was then honored by being the ones to also present a check from our organization to this mission. We also had a pre-holiday push where we each brought a paper grocery bag filled to our November meeting. Our donation box is in the lobby of our clubhouse year-round for people to place items in also. Makes you feel great to donate! When the stores have Buy One, Get One Free, the freebie always goes in the bin!

Mardela said...

God is great!