Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Question of the Day, Wed 6/25

THIS "QUESTION OF THE DAY" BROUGHT TO YOU BY MELISSA MALONE:

Just like everyone else, I too was careless about my spending. I starting to look at where I was throwing money away and started asking myself, do I really need all this? So in my research I started to see how companies have started a kind of don't tell system. So I want to tell. I started telling my family about this and especially with my parents, how they have no clue and believe everything these people tell them on the phone. It is criminal. As a kid, we only had 3 channels. TV wasn't that important, we played outside all the time. We went to Salisbury from Seaford twice a year to shop at the mall. Imagine the good we can do all the way around. We can have a savings account if we really try.

" Ways to Save" (It is not about whether I can afford it, it's about wasting my money)

DID YOU KNOW?

Comcast does not provide this information on their website, so I called and asked what the cost of their basic cable was for zip code 19940 (Delmar) It is 15.99. The next package is $55.95. No in between. So if you are looking to cut back here is one way. Now, when digital goes into effect in Feb 2009 you may not need Comcast at all. Go to DTV.gov and request your (2) $40.00 coupons for the digital box that will be required. Wal-Mart sells the boxes for $49.99 and with the $40 coupon, your cost is $9.95

Have you ever gone on Verizon website and looked for their basic package. It is nowhere to be seen. But after calling them and asking basic phone, no long distance unlimited calling to local areas. 16.95 a month.People don't know this and feel like they have to play the games. We need to do something about the money we are putting these big corporations who are misguiding us. We can do without and with each person doing a little because they want to not because they are forced to. We can make a difference.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WaWa in Delmar has the best gas price today. $3.90 per gallon this morning.

Anonymous said...

Be careful when getting quotes from the telecommunications companies, especially Verizon. After their "taxes and surcharges", that $16.95 basic rate becomes a $30 bill !!

Anonymous said...

I have basic phone service and the 768K lite internet and my bill is $40.00 per month. My Cable is $15.99 plus tax 4.00. So, phone, cable and internet 60.00 per month

Anonymous said...

Melissa - Some great thoughts. I've been thinking along the same lines. After some thinking we realized that we were wasting food and have started being much more resourceful with leftovers instead of letting them languish until it was too late. Last night's feast from our kitchen was Nathan's franks with beans and fresh grown green onions and new potatoes from the garden. It was great! I think if we all do a little thinking there's room for savings and a less wasteful existence. I wish the city of Salisbury would do the same with their budget.

Anonymous said...

we have basic phone and cable and our rates are nowhere near what you quote. At least twice as much. No frills, no long distance, call waiting, caller ID, etc. Tell me how to get our rates down where they belong, please.