Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Iraqi Immigrant Pleads Guilty to $1.4 Million Food Stamp Fraud

An Iraqi immigrant who owned a halal market in Portland, Maine, pleaded guilty to using his store to commit millions of dollars in food stamp fraud.

Ali Ratib Daham, 40, of Westbrook, pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges of food stamp trafficking, conspiracy, money laundering, and theft of government funds in U.S. District Court in Portland, the Portland Press-Herald reported.

Daham, who became a naturalized U.S. citizen after emigrating from Iraq, conspired with others to defraud the U.S. government of $1.4 million from 2011 to 2016, prosecutors say.

Court documents show that the shop owner gave customers cash in exchange for their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) program benefits.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I bet the camel humper won't have to pay any of that back.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to America. Nothing like getting free entitlements without vetting and getting away with it.

When I was in college at SSC I dropped my insurance because I was healthy and didn't need it. Not long after that I had serious sports injury and I wasn't insured. I did get some kind of medicaid to help pay for the surgery.

I decided to go to the Social Services office to see if there was any aid that I could get since I needed help. I was the only white person in there and the SS employee happened to be black. They used the amount of my student loan to pay for college and counted that as income and said I made too much money to qualify for any aid. WTF?? That was a student loan and not income.

If I was black they would have been all over me and automatically qualified me for Medicaid or what ever it is, Food Stamps, housing, and spending money and anything else they could come up with.