Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, April 21, 2017

If You Live In America, You Don’t Get To Say ‘Life Isn’t Fair’

Unless you’re warning your children about the harsh realities of the real world, the phrase “life isn’t fair” should never pass your lips.

By virtue of being born in the United States of America, you are part of a small group of insanely lucky people walking the planet. Don’t agree? Well think about it; at the moment, you’re reading this article on an internet-capable device (likely a smart phone) while sitting in a home or business of some sort. Sure, you may be broke right now and not able to afford that $6 latte at Starbucks, but you are still better off than about 96% of the world. You’ve had some bad things happen to you in your life that have set you back? So has everyone else.

At 16 years of age, I watched my amazing father pass away in my family home after battling the most aggressive kind of melanoma known to man. At 19, I watch my grandmother shoot herself in the head because she was slowly losing her mind. A few months ago, I was so broke that I had to forgo meals in order to be able to pay my bills. I can’t afford to go to college even with a grant (and I’m not getting into the trap of a government loan) so at 22, I still haven’t graduated with even a basic degree, let alone had a chance to pursue my passions.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone who invited themselves to their own personal pitty party should read this.
So many people bitch and complain about things that really don't matter to 97% of the people.
Go do something PRODUCTIVE today! If you think your life sucks, go help out in a clinic or school: you'll see that many people have it much worse, you'll help someone else, and you'll feel better about yourself.

Anonymous said...

Do something for someone else today.

Anonymous said...

Who said Life was going to be or supposed to be 'fair'...that's a relative term to begin with. Buck up Buttercups and get a grip.