Friday, April 21, 2017
Amphitheater constructed at Pemberton Historical Park
SALISBURY, Md. – A new amphitheater at Pemberton Historical Park will be host to summer camp presentations, school group activities, weddings and special events.
Wicomico County Recreation, Parks & Tourism staff members constructed the amphitheater with help from Rotary volunteers. The project, completed earlier this month, was funded by Rotary District 7630 and the Salisbury Sunrise Rotary Club. Included in the partnership were the members of the Rotary Club of Salisbury, who co-sponsored the grant.
Some children only get to experience and interact with nature at places like Pemberton Historical Park, said Brad Sutliffe, president of the Salisbury Sunrise Rotary Club.
“These are the type of projects that we really want to focus in on,” he said.
Sutliffe said the grant had to be submitted by last June, and Wicomico County Recreation, Parks & Tourism was already planning an amphitheater. The Rotary district paid for 80 percent of the project and the Sunrise Club paid for the remaining 20 percent, he said.
The amphitheater will be able to seat more than 100 people, said Allen Swiger, a program director with Wicomico Recreation & Parks. The bench tops are made from solid White Oak, which is a type of tree found at the park, he said.
“The amphitheater is a great addition to Pemberton Park and our current programming,” Swiger said. “It will be fun to see how the community utilizes it for many years to come.”
Interested in joining Rotary? The Salisbury Sunrise Rotary Club meets Wednesdays from 7:30-8:30 a.m. at Dove Pointe, and the Rotary Club of Salisbury meets Thursdays from 6:10-7:30 p.m. at 1715 Riverside Drive in Salisbury.
Learn more about Pemberton Historical Park and its programs and events at www.PembertonPark.org.
Attached are two photos from construction, a group photo and a photo of the finished amphitheater.
Group Photo Caption: Members of two local Rotary clubs and Wicomico County Recreation, Parks & Tourism staff members pose for a photo while at Pemberton Historical Park working on an amphitheater project. Shown in the front row, left to right, are Ed Goyda, Rotary Club of Salisbury member; Bill Ferguson, Salisbury Sunrise Rotary Club member and area governor; Tracy Ritter, foundation chair for the Salisbury Sunrise Rotary Club; and Tim Davis, Salisbury Sunrise Rotary Club member. In the middle row, left to right, are Brad Sutliffe, president of the Salisbury Sunrise Rotary Club; Bryan Ferguson, grandson of Bill Ferguson; and Steve Smith, Salisbury Sunrise Rotary Club member. In the back row, left to right, are Marie Calafiura, president of the Rotary Club of Salisbury; C.R. Krauss, program director with Wicomico County Recreation, Parks & Tourism; Bob Kreiter, volunteer; and Allen Swiger, program director with Wicomico County Recreation, Parks & Tourism.
at 4/21/2017 10:15:00 AM