Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

School Of Hard Knocks: Fed Education Data Shows Racial Disparities, Unequal Opportunity

Schools serving the most black and Hispanic students are less likely to offer rigorous subjects such as calculus and physics and more likely to employ teachers with only a year or two of experience. Those findings come from a new data analysis by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

Later today, the department will be releasing the survey data underlying this analysis — the 2009-2010 Civil Rights Data Collection, which contains a wide range of school-level statistics covering course offerings, teacher salaries and absenteeism, student discipline and student outcomes.

Among the findings highlighted by the Education Department:

Black students were more than three times as likely to be suspended or expelled relative to their white counterparts. Racial disparities in discipline, of course, have been reported [2] before, but according to the department’s analysis, this trend held true across all districts in the sample.

White and Asian students were disproportionately overrepresented in gifted and talented programs -- comprising nearly three-quarters of enrollment in such programs -- while black and Hispanic students were disproportionately underrepresented.

Students with disabilities comprised only 12 percent of students in the sample, but were an overwhelming majority of students subjected to physical restraint.

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no, everything is equal in today's America right?

Scott said...

I totally disagree with this article. If anything whites and Asians are held to a much higher standard than any other racial groups. Just look at the entrance exams to colleges and universities. I know this because my son is applying this year for college. Opportunities are offered in Public schools for these courses and few if any minorities take these courses.

They only have themselves to blame if they don't take advantage of what's available to them.
I am sick of white people always getting the blame for others who do not take advantage of what has been offer to them.

Anonymous said...

When I was young I was discriminated against, on my beliefs that life is a party by my parents. While my peers (mostly africian american) were out smoking pot and fighting I was forced to stay in and study. My father would spend time with me teaching and reviewing homework. Now today I feel bad because I have to work (great job) and pay for my nice home. I could have done nothing and live on welfare in section 8 housing and still be smoking pot and fighting.

lmclain said...

8:20 is telling a painful truth. Quit acting like all cultures act and behave alike and its only the color of their skin that makes them different. There ain't no groups of teenagers hanging out on the corner at 11pm (on a school night!) in WHITE neighborhoods, yelling at passersby. Black culture CELEBRATES misogyny, single parenthood, doing poorly in school (don't want anyone "acting white"), drug use, etc. White parents generally don't put up with fighting, drug use, teenage pregancy, or allow their kids to think its a badge on honor to have been in prison or killed someone. If a student fights or can't control his/her behavior or hits a teacher and gets suspended for it, it doesn't matter what color you are, unless you have a politically correct point (sometimes called an "excuse") to make. (I robbed a bank and shot a clerk, but I'm in prison 'cause I'm black!). Stop. Change your cultural values. I'm not saying everything is equal in America -- it isn't. I'm saying "overcome". Martin Luther King would be ashamed of the state of Black America today.