Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

When the Time Comes Will We Be Able To Forgive?

How do we live with that soul numbing pain we all know so well, but desperately wish to forget? You know what I’m talking about, the kind of inner pain that cuts a wide swath through our soul and then leaves us vacant and drained. It’s so much easier to be the hard ass, first with ourselves and then with all the others. You can’t be hurt by what you don’t let in, so let’s just raise our shields and hate those bastards because…...because they deserve it, that’s why. Of course, there’s always a special place in my personal hell for a few select psychopaths who deserve my best, most exceptional rage.
The thing is, though, when we finally lay splayed upon the floor exhausted from our hating labors, we still remain unsated and thoroughly dissatisfied. It is only then that we comprehend that we are all that we have left to abhor. Trust me on this one; those are the really ugly hate hangovers, the ones that spring from our own self loathing and disgust, along with our unabashed anger at the cruel world and those who we can single out for special hatred. Come on, we can admit it. We are all so very angry, furious even, at what the sociopaths have dealt us this time around. None the less, here we are. Or soon enough will be. So what are we going to do?
I suspect some of us are sitting smug as a bug thinking that we really aren’t all that angry, just plenty pissed off and loaded for bear. And that might well be the case, at least for now anyway. But just wait until the really shocking stuff is exposed, because the ass hat parade hasn’t even begun to march down Main Street. And between you and me, those stupid little clown cars, the irritating enablers and sycophants, are really going to irritate me to no end when they start to whine. Then what will we do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very good read.
I can say that I've never hated anyone , I have hated the actions of others and hated their decisions to commit crimes.
I can say that would kill people if my life or my family was threatened by them , that does not mean I hate them. Would I forgive them , only when they go to judgement on that day.

Anonymous said...

It is actually OKAY to be angry. Anger can be a great motivator and can push a person to accomplish something he or she would never have done otherwise. Hating someone or holding a grudge are not okay. Those you hate or hold a grudge against don't even know of your feelings, so you are only hurting yourself. Forgiving everyone everything seems to me to be pointless. It cheapens the act of forgiveness and makes it meaningless when you really need to have someone feel truly forgiven. I heard once (and I believe this) that you CAN'T forgive someone who doesn't want your forgiveness. If they don't want your forgiveness or don't feel they have done anything they need to be forgiven for, then you can forgive them 'til the cows come home, but it will be meaningless.

Anonymous said...

Both comments are so true. You cannot forgive someone who has no remorse. Peace is found within when justice is served. To carry a grudge with no movement forward only hurts your own health and self worth, but to take your pain and push it forward to a cause gives you extraordinary momentum and energy to accomplish goals without allowing someone to steal your joy.