Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 09, 2011

Despite Gadget Infestation, Residential Power Use Is Expected To Decline

You'd think the bombardment of HDTVs, cell phones, computers and video game consoles would make residential power usage skyrocket, but all-around power efficiency should cause it to plateau. Government-subsidized home energy savings programs and power-savvy consumers are among the reasons power usage is expect to decline over the next decade.

More »

1 comment:

Daddio said...

I have a lot of LED and cfl light bulbs these days, so my lighting load is much lower than it used to be.

I replaced my 20 year old A/C unit (10-SEER) with a new 18-SEER heat pump. My summer A/C costs are way lower than before.

Got rid of several CRT-type TV sets, and use LCD/LED type now. Same thing for computer monitors.

I don't doubt there is significant savings by these changes in my usage.

I still don't bother to unplug my wall warts -- you can save much more $$$ by changing out an incandescent or halogen light bulb instead. Besides, once you wear out your receptacle outlets by plug/unplug every day, you'll have to pay for an electrician to replace `em all! LOL