Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, July 29, 2011

Woman's Pro-Gay Marriage Shirt Deemed Offensive At Dollywood

A woman says she was was asked to turn her T-shirt inside-out at a Tennessee theme park because its text, “Marriage Is So Gay,” was considered potentially offensive to other patrons.
 
Olivier Odom, who visited the water park complex on July 9 with friends and their children, said she was denied entry by a front gate staffer, who said the message had to be obscured or covered because Dollywood was “a family park.”
 
“That's what we found so offensive — that he said it was a family park,” Jennifer Tipton, Odom's girlfriend, told the Associated Press. “Families come in a wide range of definitions these days and we were with our family.”
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That shirt seemed to be trying to shove the message down people's throats. I have no problem with gays but I don't want to walk around seeing everybody flaunting it. I don't flaunt my straight relationship either. I'm glad she had to change the shirt.

Anonymous said...

Agreed.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 10:13am. I am offended by any public displays of affection by anyone. That should be something done in private. Gays flaunting their sexually is equally offensive.

Anonymous said...

had i worn a T-shirt that said, "have you punched a gay today?" i wouldve been asked to turn it inside out or i wouldve been removed from the park. why? because its offensive. amazing how they are the only ones that are allowed to be offended. cant have it both ways!

Anonymous said...

Good for Dollywood.

Gerald said...

I find a shirt offensive that is sold on the streets of DC, it says, "My President is Black" and has Osama, I mean Obama on it. I can't get any officer to have them removed........

lmclain said...

Couldn't she just go to the waterpark WITHOUT trying to put a personal agenda in everyones face? When you look for trouble, you often find some...so quit the whining about the trouble you have brought upon yourself. And quit trying to stuff your agenda down everyone's throat.

Anonymous said...

Where can I get a "Have you punched a gay today" tee shirt?

Anonymous said...

Gerald Dollywood is private you want to tell people what they can do walking down the street you racist.