Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 15, 2010

Cities, Counties Can't Stop Federal Immigration Checks

ICE won't honor requests to opt out of Secure Communities — and it won't say why

Cities and counties can't stop federal officials from sifting through local police records to root out illegal immigrants, even though U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has characterized the program in place as voluntary since it started up two years ago, federal documents show.

When a local law authority arrests someone, it submits his or her fingerprints to the FBI to confirm identity and check for a previous criminal record. That's been a standard part of the booking process in every police agency in America for decades.

GO HERE to read more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 Years ago, when I worked in Central Booking, a Salibury Police officer braught in a Hispanic male. I asked the suspect if he had ever been arrested, of course he said no. I finger printed him then went to process him. During the process I found an I.D. he claimed was his. I took it to the finger print screen and pulled up his prints. I called the officer over and showed the prints to him. None of them matched the print on the back of his I.D. The officer just went back to his paperwork. Later an ICE officer came in and I reported it to him. He said he would investigate.
The suspect was given a $6000 bond. My shift was over, and I reported my concern to the on coming shift. When I returned I found the suspect posted a cash bail and was released. I checked the Print results and found 2 hours after he was released the suspect was wanted in Delaware for sex offences. I dont think he showed up for court.

Anonymous said...

and we want to hire more police officers? the ones we have don't seem to be interested in doing their job.