Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 15, 2010

A Letter To The Editor

Joe,
I currently have my home phone and cell phone numbers on the telemarketing Do-Not-Call list.  This is good for telemarketing, but what about when there's an upcoming election?  I've received more phone calls late at night (some just after my kids have gone to sleep) in the past month than I ever did before I was on the Do-Not-Call list.  This is ridiculous.  I did not sign up for any of this and since they are non-profit, they can call whenever and however much they want?  I'm already sick of seeing all of the obnoxious campaign signs everywhere (and I mean everywhere.)  Not only that, but I get more campaign junk mail than I can literally go through.  I end up just throwing it out.  I consider myself an informed individual when it comes to politics and who I'm going to vote for (or vote against.)  But all of this just makes me sick to my stomach.  I cannot
imagine how much money is spent on campaigns.  Much more money than the elected official will ever make if elected.  There should be a limit on the amount of money they can spend in advertising and a limited time frame where they can put up signs and send out mailers.  Say, from Sept to election day, that would suit me fine.  So, my question is this.......I'm already on the Do-Not-Call registry for telemarketers, how do I get on the Do-Not-Call registry for voters to keep them from calling me at all hours of the day and night?  I DO NOT want to answer questions as to my voting preferences or views.  You will find them out on voting day.  Anyone else sick of the calls, mailers and signs?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes these calls are getting out of hand. We received a call on Monday night and it was 9:53 p.m. My kids were asleep. My husband asked do you know what time it is and they responded yes but I just need one more call tonight.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there should be restrictions on when you can start campaigning, and the amount. I'm so sick of the Harris/Kratovil ads, if there was a third person running, I'd vote for him/her. Keep a whistle by the phone incase any of them call at an indecent hour!

Anonymous said...

The Do NOT CALL list is ONLY for telemarketers. Non-profits and political types can call whom ever they like.

Anonymous said...

When you filed your phone number on the old do-not-call automated site they told you that certain political affilations were still allowed to call you. I just checked the new message and it does not say that anymore, but assume it's still in place, simply because politicians make and pass those laws and ALWAYS look out for old #1. Themselves.

Anonymous said...

In stead of getting so sick , why not turn your phone off, did you ever think of that?

Anonymous said...

the law regarding the do-not-call registry does not include political entities, or anyone you've done business with in the past 6 months.

Anonymous said...

do not call list does not apply to elections or unlisted numbers

come on, our politicians write the law - YOU SHOULD KNOW THEY WOULD MAKE IT BENEFIT THEM

Anonymous said...

And still nothing on the teacher that was convicted of sexually abusing her daughter. You really do suck Albero. No local news at all, just cut and pasted politics. Laughing joke of salisbury

tedh said...

Anon 1:29 all you have to do is check the Maryland Judiciary Case Search.

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiryDetail.jis?caseId=22K10000375&loc=48&detailLoc=K

I don't see sentence as of yet. Looks like a very involved case as you could imagine.

She is still shown on the East Salisbury School website as a 4th grade teacher which I find really creepy.

http://www.wcboe.org/schools/ese/grade/Fourth_Grade

Anonymous said...

1:26, This election is most likely going to be the most important of our lives. Any political news and information we can get is appreciated.
Now back to the post, I haven't gotten any calls, but way too many mailers lately which myself and my neighbors were talking about just yesterday. Let's say we all thought it was becoming "frustrating."

Anonymous said...

anon 11:51, no kidding? that's what I'm saying. It SHOULD be for this as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I mean anon 11:45, not 11:51.

Anonymous said...

12:24, seriously? why would I turn my phone off? what if someone has an emergency and needs to get a hold of me? Why should I be inconvenienced in that way? Use your head. YOU must be a politician.

Anonymous said...

1:26, I agree it is extremely important. Informed voters look for themselves to find information on those running. if you are depending on phone calls ASKING you what you prefer or whatever, then that is not helping you decide who to vote for. It is the politicians POLLING you to find out what they should say to get you to vote for them. Be informed, not ignorant.

Anonymous said...

I got mailer from Jim Mathias yesterday and then another again today. They went right in the trash. I can't wait until the elections are over.

Anonymous said...

Jim IS overdoing it with the mailers.
I think for the incumbents or those who are already in an office they should send out a list of all the bills that introduced and how they voted.

Terri said...

I too am tired of the calls late at night, on my day off, etc. etc.... I am on the "do not call list" also and not only am I getting a lot of calls about the upcoming election, I am also getting calls for donations for this, that and the other. I tell all to please remove me from their calling list and usually end up having to become rude. I wish they would stop!

Anonymous said...

If I get a late night call from a supporter of...lets just say Jim Mathias, I would get all cheerful and say, " OMG! Please let me talk to him! I have a LOT of questions and issues that I would love to discuss with him. Please put him on the phone." I bet they would hang up on me before I could hang up on them,

Anonymous said...

Got one last night told the gentleman I was not interested in giving any information about the upcoming elections and he would have to wait till election day. Asked him not to call me back and to take my number off his list. He then asked me if I wanted to know how to get my number off the lists. He said very creepy like to call the board of elections and have my number removed from my application. Funny thing is when I signed up to vote I had no phone. So how did they get my number, good question!!!

Anonymous said...

12:24 says, i was just worried about your health, besides maybe we will hear about you having a heart attack or something because the phone is worrying u so much . oh well
I turn mine off all emergency calls as you call them can wait, Oh do you work for 911 or just think you do?