Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 15, 2010

Candidate Reggie Mason Provides Bio & Platform

My name is Reggie Mason, current Chief Deputy of the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, and candidate for Sheriff. I have the proven experience, dedication, and leadership skills necessary to manage the Sheriff’s Office. I want to continue to make Worcester County a safe place to work and live.

Born and raised in Worcester County and a graduate of Pocomoke High School. I proudly served my country (1965-1969) as a United States Marine Corps Sergeant, serving two tours of duty in Vietnam, receiving many citations and my honorable discharge.

I started my police career at the Ocean City Police Department in 1970- a detective, Corporal, Sergeant, and acting Lieutenant K-9 Commander/Trainer. I served as a K-9 deputy with the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office 1979-1984. In 1984 I was appointed Chief Deputy, serving under two Sheriff’s, being the longest serving Chief Deputy in the history of Maryland. I am a graduate of the National Sheriff’s Institute, FBI National Academy class U11, a graduate of two Maryland Sheriff’s Executive Schools, and the Fire/Police Incident Command School. I have attended over one hundred other schools, including twenty-five in the field of leadership, management, and budget issues.

My Missions:
More deputies on Road Patrol
Command Staff Night Patrol
Deputy back in Community Policing
Check businesses to ensure they are not selling alcohol/tobacco to minors
Meetings in the county to discuss issues of importance

In March, a VA Trooper and three Accomack County Deputy Sheriff’s were sworn in with the WCSO, and our CET deputies were sworn in by these agencies. For months we have been crossing state lines helping each other on fighting drugs. This has resulted in many arrests and seizures of property in Pocomoke, Berlin, and Virginia. We will continue to go after them. It will take time, but we will get them.

Since I have been at the Sheriff’s Office, many changes have been made. SWAT Teams, CBI Investigations, CET (Criminal Enforcement Team), NDTF (Narcotics Drug Task Force) and more K-9 dogs have been added. School Resource Officers were added to make our schools safer and a DARE Deputy to teach our kids about alcohol and drugs. There is a deputy assigned to track sex offenders in our county, and we have formed a partnership with the US Marshals Office to assist when one might try to leave this area without checking in. By hiring part time deputies to handle five courts has saved tax payers over one million dollars. I have been a part of this over the years, making changes to better serve you.

I have served the citizens of Worcester County for more than thirty-eight years in making our county safe and would like to continue. I would like your vote on November 2, 2010.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do not pat yourself on the back. Those who know you also know you never attended any schools since you reached the rank of Chief Deputy. I once worked on the SWAT Team and I know for a fact it was Bobby Brittingham who made and formed the Swat Team to what it is today. When the budget got tough you chose to retire and go fishing. Dod Dodds came in and ran the department for almost two years. When Martin learned Dodds was not running for sheriff Dodds was kicked to the curb and in came you at a cost to the taxpayers of $80,000 plus retirement. In the last last nine months you had a chance to make a difference you claim that you will do if elected. Guess what? There was changes alright> Disgrace of doubt brought to the sheriffs office by the Attorney General Office. Campaigning in uniform with I know of two part time deputies while in uniform.I see your ideas are the same as your Brittingham's who posted his several months ago. Do you have any of your own. Everyone wants to know why you have never done an interview like the other candidates? Lets us decide,the solution "Mason & Brittingham" in a debate and let us voters decide. I call your bluff and say yes to a debate, I am sure Brittingham if asked will do so. I just heard his radio ad this morning on 101.1 FM. If you are for real let the debtes begin. Good Luck to all

Anonymous said...

Yes, Reggie served two tours in Vietnam but he is probably too modest to tell you he was one of the brave soldiers who survived the siege of Khe Sanh.

Anonymous said...

12:19- (Bobby)

You obviously read about as well as you write. Mason said, he was there during those changes and played a part in them happening, which as Chief Deputy he should have- he never said anything about starting the SWAT Team.

Dods was never kicked to the curb as you suggest, and if you ask him, he will tell you.

The majority of the "disgrace" that has been brought upon the Sheriff's Office is b/c of your mud slinging, rumors, lies, accusations, and false number reports (for instance the 691 active paternity warrants, which there are actually only 25, the dif have been served or recalled).

From what I heard- Mason and yourself (or if you aren't Booby, I appologize) have been invited to speak/debate at the American Legion (only open to members) Monday night....guess we will see who shows up and how it turns out.

Either way (Bobby or not, if you are not him, you are a family member and have fabricated some of your comment)- you don't win races by slinging mud and trashing other candidates. If you cant win by account of your own merits, then you dont need to be running for any office. That is how Mason won my vote a few months ago. Just like in this article, he only discusses himself, what he has done, participated in and plans to do...then you, like always, come in and try to tear him down- dont tell me what he can't do for me, tell me what you can!!

Worcester County Dem. voting Rep.