Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ehrlich To Discuss Economic Crisis In Hard-Hit Washington County

Northrop Grumman to lay off 53 in Hagerstown; Unemployment Has Doubled Since 2006


Bob Ehrlich will visit Hagerstown tomorrow to discuss the recent round of layoffs and plant closings that have more than doubled unemployment in the Western Maryland region.

Northrop Grumman’s announcement that it would close its plant was only the latest move that has pushed unemployment over 10% in Washington County, up from just 4.4% in 2006.

Ehrlich’s visit comes one week after a University of Baltimore study shows that business confidence in Maryland has dropped 58% in the past four years.

Ehrlich will meet with business and civic leaders and review efforts to bring the local economy back to health. Job creation has been a prime focus of the Ehrlich campaign, and Ehrlich has already held more than three dozen roundtable discussions around the state, encouraging hiring and economic growth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I received a phone poll last night on the govenors race. It beat around the bush with a bunch of bogus questions until the end. Then I was asked, would I vote for O'malley or Erlich. I told the guy first Erlich had to win his primary. And if he did I'll vote for neither O'malley or Erlich. They both trashed the state. The guy was speechless as I heard him type on the computer. I said "got that?".
His reply, "Your right, I'm not sure what to put down for this question, your the first to make that apparent to me". I hung up.