Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, June 28, 2010

Door To Door Alarm Sales


Location: Wicomico County

Narrative: It has been brought to the attention of the Wicomico County Sheriff’s that there are door-to-door solicitors which may be misrepresenting themselves as employees of a local alarm company. Information received by the WCSO confirms these solicitors as residents of another state.

Here are a few issues that the Sheriff’s Office would like to make our citizens aware of:

Some may falsely claim to represent different alarm companies.

Others claim to represent the customer’s existing alarm company, and falsely tell the customer that they need an upgrade. The sales person may attempt to tell you that your current company has gone out of business or that the company the salesperson represents has bought your company. After the customer signs, they become obligated to two companies for the same services.

May claim that your service is out of date or obsolete and buy signing with their company you may obtain all the benefits of their modern technology.

Still others claim to offer a “free” system when in reality customers are committing to an extended contract that has a built in fee for the equipment. Always be leery of anything that is offered for “free”

While the Sheriff’s Office does not make any endorsements or recommendations on any particular company or equipment, we ask that you use caution when entering into a contract with any door to door salesperson.

12 comments:

BF99 said...

Geez. The way things are now I don't answer my door unless it's someone I know.

If they are from a company they can leave me a brochure.

Anonymous said...

My alarm system works perfectly. I have yet to have an intruder stay longer than necessary after hearing me chamber a round into my Remington 870.

Sure, a handgun is small and easier to carry but nothing says "get the hell out" quite like the sound of a pump shotgun.

Anonymous said...

They were in the Fruitland area, Meadowbrook subdivision last Friday.

mike said...

I had a young man come to my door TWICE last Thursday, the first time he just heard the dogs.... I answered in the afternoon and he told me he was doing an 'Internship' and did mention a FREE Security System. I told him no thanks, when he asked why, I said "because NOTHING is Free, and I said "no thanks" again, and wished him luck. Of course my current security system ((2 loud barking dogs)) seems to be working just fine . He was dressed very professional, had an I.D. Badge that he showed me *Kade C. Perry*...... jus goes to show, ya really do have to be cautious.

Anonymous said...

they were in Fruitland AGAIN last week. My son was home at the time (18) and couldnt get rid of him. He kept asking over and over where his parents were ?? Uhhh none of your business ?? said they would be in the neighborhood for a while....but when we got home 15 mins later they were no where to be found. Sad but so true....you really cant trust anyone anymore.

Anonymous said...

What information are they trying to get or what have they gotten from people?

Anonymous said...

wierd....last summer about the same time there were people walking around to houses that had play equipment and saying they were doing interships on the development of early age children...guess they figured good parents werent going to fall for that crap and would be very leary of someone that was talking about young kids and they switched to the alarm system crap. im so sick of how this world is falling apart and the fn morons who have no care respect or feelings for other people. keep locked up tight people and trust no one no matter how innocent they look. EVERYONE these days seems to be out to harm people.

Anonymous said...

There have been two young men going door to door in the Eastfields neighborhood in Fruitland for the last week. They state they are from a company called APX and they are in the area due to an "increase in break ins" and how easily our alarm can be disabled. My husband had seen them walk past our house without stopping on at least two occasions while working outside. They didn't actually come up to our door until he left. One even stated, we saw your husband outside before. That seemed like a red flag to me. Why would they purposefully wait until a woman was home alone to approach a house? And all the news about reported break ins that didn't occur seems like a scare tactic to me.

Anonymous said...

4:15 I had the same guy. Told I have four dogs and plenty of lead for anyone not invited in.
He tried to tell me that I would be covered for fire, burglery, intruders. For a fire I get out or I don't. Gods plan for me. If someone breaks in when I am not home then the dogs can have them. If they break in and I am home, I will strip naked and I gaurantee they will run out faster then the wind.

Anonymous said...

I think a security system certainly has a place in your home. Even if you have Smith and Wesson also it will wake those heavy sleepers up. Folks there are some real good LOCAL companies here that I feel are trust worthy. Nothing is for free

Anonymous said...

If you want wires stapled across your walls and junky equipment then these are probably the guys you want to install your alarm system.

Anonymous said...

Yes, they've hit Fruitland once again today. Asked if my parents would be home soon..ummm guess he didn't notice I'm 46, not 4 or 6! The dogs kept him outside.

Kimmie