Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 26, 2009

Boxer Fernando Guerrero, The Warrior & The Pussy Cat














I received a phone call about a few days ago from Fernando Guerrero asking what I was doing the 24th. I told him I was expected to go to Annapolis to clear out my Mother's estate but I asked, what's up? He told me that he was quietly getting together with all the kids and their Parents at Pemberton Manor. I felt kinda bad but Mom's estate was something we wanted to clear out since so many of my Family had to travel 4.5 hours each way to get there. Well it turns out they didn't need me there on Saturday so I ended up with a free day and quickly sent Fernando a text message saying I'd be there.

Folks, this turned out to be one of the most enjoyable days I have experienced in a very long time. Coach Hal Chernoff and his beautiful Bride Nancy were there along with Fernando's entire Family. Fernando purchased 35 pizza's and fed the entire neighborhood. In fact, when all was said and done there was only one box of pizza left and they may have disappeared as I left a little early, (after 3 hours of being there).

The kids had a BLAST! They played tug of war, they played basketball, they jumped rope, Fernando was teaching kids how to box, they cleaned up the entire area of any debris and of course they ate lots of pizza.

Fernando Guerrero is not just someone I enjoy promoting on Salisbury News. Fernando Guerrero is a very close and personal friend, along with his entire Family, which includes Hal & Nancy Chernoff. This young man has not, (nor ever will) forget where he came from.

I'm very fortunate to have such friends.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty awesome of him.

Reconciled1 said...

Thanks for letting us know... It's good to see it when someone, who is a local celeb, can help and not feel it has to be a media frenzy.

Anonymous said...

Wow! These kind of stories remind me of why I live here. Fernando is truly an inspiration for all kids! You're right--he'll never forget where he came from. Such a positive role model for todays youth! Thanks, Joe, for letting us know about this!

joealbero said...

By the way, there were more than 90 people there having a great time.

Anonymous said...

im so proud of him! he has always been one of those people you couldnt help but want to be around - he puts a smile on my face everytime i see him around, some things never change & i know his personality never will, no matter how "big" he gets, Keep up the hard work nando, as we will all be cheering you on in everything you do.

Anonymous said...

What a role model he is for the youth! He is to be commended for what he's doing. He may save some children from going down the wrong path. We need more people like him!

Anonymous said...

I FEEL YOU 11:08. WE DO NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE HIM. TO OFTEN I READ THIS BLOG AND HEAR SO MANY PEOPLE GIVING UP, AND TURNING THEIR BACKS ON THE YOUTH "THE HOOD" IN THIS TOWN. ITS GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE DOING SOMETHING AND ITS ESPECIALLY WONDERFULL THAT JOE WAS THERE TO REPORT IT. JOE NO MATTER WHAT I MAY THINK OF YOU AND THE MAJORITY OF YOUR BLOGGERS IM GLAD THAT YOU GOT A CHANCE TO SEE THE CONDITIONS THAT THESE KIDS LIVE IN. GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD TIME AND HOPE YOU CAN ENCOURAGE MORE PEOPLE TO GIVE THESE CHILDREN A CHANCE TO SEE SOMETHING OTHER THAN SHOOT OUTS. IF YOU EVER DECIDE TO COME TO THE BOOTH ST AREA AND DO SOMETHING EMAIL ME. I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO ASSIST. SALISBURY NEEDS TO REALLY SUPPORT FERNANDO WIN, LOSE, OR DRAW. IF NOT WE MAY NEVER HAVE ANOTHER FERNANDO.

Anonymous said...

A good guy doing the right thing in a neighborhood that needs it the most.

Anonymous said...

My children had walked over to watch Fernando Guerrero and came back home so happy!!! I try to stay busy with them at all times instead of them hanging outside where trouble is always bound to be. Thanks to the new management and the area of Pemberton Manor getting cleaned up!! They actually have placed someone in the office now who actuacares and is doing things to make a difference. I found Saturday as a very enjoyable day for adults and children!!! I heard on the radio this morning that this Friday another local famous person is coming to visit and have activities. It is great to know that the environment is slowly but surely changing for the better. Keep up the great work!!!

Anonymous said...

Fernando Guerrero is a blessing to this community. An excellent role model to the many children in this town who have none. Keep up the good work Fernando, you are making a big difference in the lives of these children. You are truely inspirational!

Anonymous said...

what a nice young man. more should emulate him.

Anonymous said...

The Community Foundation is now the home of ShoreCan, a volunteer group, and they need a spokesman. Fernando Guerrero is perfect! Write in your vote, ask them to make Fernando a spokesman for ShoreCan:


Jonathan Fitzsimmons
ShoreCAN VISTA Volunteer Coordinator
shorecan@cfes.org

Anonymous said...

Fernando wears a smile of a man who is happy with who he is. I wish I saw that smile on more Salisbury citizens.