Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 04, 2009

Rabid Raccoon In Tamarac Villiage

This morning, in Tamarac Villiage, a possibly rabid raccoon attacked a dog. The Police were called and located the raccoon and the raccoon was taken away by Animal Control.

Given Tamarac's proximity to Parkside High School's athletic fields this could have been a very dangerous situation. This occurred this morning as school buses were rolling through the neighborhoods - so children were potentially at risk.

Parents and children should be aware of the potential of rabid animals even here in town. I think most people equate rabid animals with the country - I know I did until my dog was attacked on our deck this morning!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT!!!! What police department did that?????? We had a Raccon that was tearing up our trash and was seen in daylight.....I call Animal Control and the City Police and County Police they all told me "they did not handle that type of call and I need to call Critter Getters......

Anonymous said...

There is also a pedophile that lives on Sumac Circle in Tamarac that parents should be sure to watch their kids.

Anonymous said...

Yep, they came right away. Took them the better part of an hour to locate the raccoon, they trapped it in an empty garbage can - fortunately we had trash pick up yesterday - and held it there until Animal Control arrived.

Anonymous said...

racoon was probably just late getting back home. Every one you see isn't necessarily rabid...like the rest of us...just looking for food & shelter after being driven out of our homes.
the right thing was done...when in doubt, call animal control. But what if it's on a saturday afternoon?

Anonymous said...

It wasn't just out late - it attacked a dog and then kept pacing back and forth past my door on my back deck! It didn't run when I began hitting it with a broom but remained firmly attached to my dog by it's teeth for some time. May I also add that the dog had just stepped onto the deck when it was attacked - didn't bark or provoke the raccoon in any way. Given the behavior I witnessed, as well as the police officers, and the damage inflicted on the dog there is little doubt that the raccoon was in fact rabid.

Anonymous said...

if it's a saturday, do you call the cops or the fire dept.?

Anonymous said...

Hope your pet makes out ok. just wanted to point out it's "not necessarily" rabid. Sure sounds like it was.