Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 07, 2009

Ann von Forthuber Challenges Chief Webster And The Salisbury Police Department





Yesterday, Ann von Forthuber – “the lady of the lake” who was brutally attacked in her own home – held a press conference in front of the Old Courthouse. Other than Salisbury News, there wasn’t any press.

The purpose of Ann’s press conference was to observe the one-year anniversary of the attack on her and to raise awareness of crime and its victims. She emphasized how she wasn’t alone and that many crimes were unsolved in the city with the assailants still at large.

It was impressive enough that Ann came forward publicly to answer questions about the attack on her. She talked about the long range effects such crime has on a person’s life in every aspect. Ann had complaints with the Salisbury Police Department’s handling of her case (90 days to get a sketch artist?), but most of her presentation was about rallying people to work together to get crime off our streets and out of our homes.

Even more impressive, here’s a lady who has been through a traumatic crime, yet she wants to help do a fundraiser for Crime Solvers. Absolutely incredible! Great idea, and Ann, we here at Salisbury News will be behind you because we know Crime Solvers works. A tip to them helped catch the killers of Anitra Pirkle quickly.

Ann gave time to Mark McIver of Crime Solvers to speak about this fine organization, which needs funds to pay out for the tips that solve crimes. You can click on the link here on SBYnews.com to go to Crime Solvers and make a donation right online.

Stand by and with Ann, folks. Some sick individuals in town are already playing the “blame the victim” game with her publicly even as this brave woman turns her horrible experience into something positive for the community.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cried when I read this. My heart and prayers go out to Ann and all crime victims and their families. Now, let's all work together to raise money for Crime Solvers and be part of the solution.

Anonymous said...

I have something that I would donate for an auction. How about other individuals and businesses. Anyone willing to volunteer a venue...perhaps a restaurant, etc.? Joe, are you willing to take e-mails and keep a list?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really commend this woman. It takes guts to be public after an attack. And to turn it into an opportunity to help others, God bless you, ma'am.

Anonymous said...

I have some great stuff for a "community yard sale" not quite auction material, but should fetch a good price. Is that an idea that could be cobined? Go Ma'am.

Anonymous said...

Ann, I'm behind you 100%. I think it's wonderful that you are able to stand up and speak out about this horrible attack. I'm sure those who want to turn it around and blame you would love it if you'd stay quiet about it. Don't let them silence you!

Joe, keep us posted about the fundraiser. I'll help support it!

Anonymous said...

Ann, I am so sorry I couldn't make it out today due to work. I support you in your stance and stand beside you 110%. The other Anne

Anonymous said...

Joe, this is fantastic. Please ask Crime Solvers and this fine lady to keep you posted on what they need to do this. I know a couple people who would donate or bid, or even just lug stuff to set up.

We're sick of crime. Good for this brave lady!

Chimera said...

Do you know there was not one mention of this event in the Times today?What a whitewash!This lady has every right to be angry and it is vile that anyone is blaming her for what happened.They obviously have never been a crime victim.

Unknown said...

Someone who is actually doing something about it. More of that, less of this.

Be brave , Ann.

PS- what kind of jerk is being critical of her for doing this?

Anonymous said...

What a CROCK!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ann,
I commend you for what you are doing. I too was a victim of a crime in Salisbury and the police ended up actually accusing myself and my husband of creating a hoax after they did not do their job adequately even with part of the crime being on video from a security camera. I was so astounded by the lack of help we received that I have been beside myself for years. Stand strong! What you are doing needed to be done a long time ago. And to the person at 5:45 am who stated "What A Crock" - The only "Crock" I know is Salisbury City Police!!!!! Thank God we have Maryland State Police!!!!!!It's a shame they can't cover your area tooo!!!!

Anonymous said...

John Robinson and the JT have re-victimized the victim here. I am alarmed that two perverted minds are now one in that pair.


Mam I wish you well. This stance you take is part of a long healing process. I am proud of you and those around you that are giving you the support. Joe thanks for following her story.

I have laid off of Salisbury City Police. I have taken the stance they are overwhelmed and over worked. I guess part of that might be true. However lately i had a chance to work with some of them. I was alarmed at the lack of knowledge and investigative skills they displayed. I guess Webster is the boss but he cant be everywhere all the time. If in fact he some of these clowns were in place when he took the job I see just what he faces daily. I am in no way pointing the finger at 98% of the department, but 2% are borderline criminals.

Weed them out get Chief that believes in the fight and you have a winner on your hands. If you work at S.P.D. and you know who the 2% are weed them out yourself. If you allow behavior outside the law, you are one of them. The Thin Blue Line shit is just that if you uphold criminal acts by your brothers and sisters. They bring the whole show down. Enough said.

Maybe if the City was part of the W.B.I. system there would be more sucess by all involved.

The system is failing because someone does not care enough about the public. I do not think we need to name that person.

Anonymous said...

Its 98% of the cheifs fault and 2% of the cops. Cops like hitty, underwood, crockett, fissel, stewart and hughes let things go. Just investigate some of their arrests and follow ups. you will see. These officers put off and hand stuff over because they do not want to so the paper work. BUT, give them an award, and they will take it!

Anonymous said...

Anon 3:20- So true it is scary! Underwood is the most curupt Cop followed by Crockett.

citygoer said...

Why are all these corrupt officers in our area? Are they intentionally getting the "bottom of the barrel" recruits so they can pay them less?? I'm no expert on this subject but it seems that no one around here cares about any of these issues. Sadly, I've seen it elsewhere in my workplace(local car dealer) and I truly hope its not just a trait that comes with being on the eastern shore. Everyone just kind of walks around in this "haze" and has absolutely no clue what is really going on. There is NO teamwork whatsoever and if anyone can get away with breaking the rules and taking advantage they do. I'm not from around here so I have an outsiders perspective and needless to say its not a very good one. Are ppl around here that self-centered and lacking integrity?

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you for fighting what may be a losing battle. You are a brave individual and may God Bless you.