Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, May 07, 2009

FOLLOW-UP TO HOLE Y CRAP

Folks. . . a few years ago I worked for a large A&E firm in Virginia Beach, Clark, Nexsen. It is a full service A&E firm whereby I worked side-by-side with structural, civil, mechanical, electrical, and fire protection engineers.

One day while going to visit a site one of the structural engineers asked me to pull off the side of the road near an overpass . . .similar to the Rt. 50 overpass that just collapsed. He said look up at the disintegrating pan decking. He then showed me pieces of concrete on the roadway whereby it had been reported where several passing motorists complained they had their windshields shattered from falling concrete debris from above.

When I walked under the overpass to get a closer inspection he pushed me aside and said don't go under it as he didn't trust the structural steel. Right about then a large semi-passed over the overpass and I kid you not I could actually see the concrete pieces falling down upon the roadway as well as visually see the bridge sway from the stress above.

I said to the structural engineer, what are you going to do? He said he submitted his report and that the State Highway of Virginia had ordered some plywood to be attached to the underside of the pan decking to keep the concrete from falling onto passing cars.

He informed me that deteriorating bridges like these are everywhere case-in-point RT. 50 overpass. The one that really scares me though is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I definately do not trust it! Check out the huge hump at the expansion joint near the peak of the span . . . it is not normal.

I'VE GOT ADDITIONAL NEWS FOR YOU - THE CONDITION OF YOUR GOVERNMENT IS NOT NORMAL EITHER.

6 comments:

Chimera said...

That IS scary!The bridge-tunnel complex always has creeped me out,.

Anonymous said...

While you are mentioning unsafe bridges...

Go on top of the railroad bridge that crosses main street down town. Three years ago you could see through the wooden beams were people attach banners. Things have not been fixed yet, so I imagine it is even more perilous for people who use that bridge to promote their events.

Anonymous said...

We know the bay bridge is faulty after the accident last year with the truck and the jersey wall giving way. I do believe I heard they found some other things that were wrong with the bridge. Plus what about the insignicant (supposedly) piece of bridge that was found floating in the bay?

Anonymous said...

Shes crumblin folks, none of us ever thought we would see it.

Anonymous said...

It is all about paying less taxes.Now everyone is surprised our infrastructure is falling apart? Please do not tell me it is about cutting waste, we have heard that mantra for 30 years.

Anonymous said...

10:34pm-It's about paying less taxes and spending tax money where it should be spent, not Arts or Hamas or pet projects like everything in WV after Byrd. Wake up, we don't need to pay more in taxes to keep the bridges and roads safe, we need to stop the unneccessary spending like our Coungressman's raises etc...