Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, May 07, 2009

A Letter To Michael Owens

Dear Mr. Michael Lee Owens,

Since April 26, 2007, I have wanted to say a few words to you. That is the day that I found out that my friend of many years, and your son, had used a gun to take his own life. You use to tell him he was worthless. You use to make him feel that way too. You tormented your entire family until they were hanging on by nothing more than emotional threads. You are a demented, perverse human being who, for some reason, has been given the privilege by our so-called “justice” system to begin living your life once more as it were before April 26, 2007. You show no remorse for completely destroying an exceptional young man. You show no remorse for leaving your daughter just as devastated by your abuse. You are the only reason that your son, Joshua Owens, took his own life. I hope you are NEVER able to forget his smile. It was one of the most infectious one’s I’ve ever known. Josh was a very special person to me. Growing up, I heard tales of the terror you would inflict, and witnessed his fear of you. Wild horses couldn’t tear me from trying to help Josh, as he was turning into a troubled teenager. Sure, I was by his side for some if his wild antics, but I was also there to soothe him when he boiled over with rage because he could not save himself, let alone his baby sister, from your abuse.

I’ve lost many people in my life, loved ones and friends, both young and old. Some of those people I think about every now and then, some more often than others, but then there are those that never leave you. They are with you in your thoughts every morning, as soon as you open your eyes, right down to the moment you drift off to sleep. Amazingly, they even make it into your dreams. Josh, for me, is one of those people. I cannot and will not ever forget that promising spark I saw in him. I will never forget his smile, although it was more of a smirk, or his laugh. Josh was just one of those people that I always cared about and wanted to see succeed. I wanted him to live his life to the fullest and somehow find it in himself to forgive you for what you had done to him, and his sister, who he loved more than life itself. I am writing this letter today because he could not. You buried Josh’s promising spark so far beneath all of the anger and rage that you inflicted upon him, he could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. He could not see a life outside of the pain and suffering that you caused. You made Josh feel so terrible about his self that he felt the lives of his family and friends would be enriched by his absence. Mine is not. I feel empty and helpless when I think of my childhood friend’s last minutes. I hate to think that he was alone. I wish I had kept in touch with him more throughout the years; maybe I could have helped in some way. I hate to think that he really thought that this was his only way out. I think of his mother and sister every day, wishing I could share my tears with them. I yearn for some way to find closure for myself and I hope that this is it. Mr. Owens, I dread the day I run into you. There is no doubt in my mind that you will be recognizable, you and Josh looked very similar. That is your daily reminder. You will never be forgiven for what you have done.

Sincerely,

KW

16 comments:

NotaGoodIdea said...

While I certainly feel the pain that this person is expressing to this man, I feel that this is not a public matter, but a letter that should have been sent privately and not up for public dissemination.

Please Joe, get some class!

joealbero said...

When someone sends in a Letter to the Editor and asks that it be produced, I see no problem in doing so. Besides, the ONLY person I worry about when it comes to judging me with CLASS is my beautiful Bride.

If you'd like to forward us your BILLING address for your subscrition to Salisbury News, please leave that address in your next comment. If you'd prefer not to receive a bill, might I suggest clicking on the red "X" at the top right hand corner of your screen to reach our Complaint Department.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe. I found this to be a very powerful letter. I think that people in society should know just what a monster this a$$hole is. Andnotagoodidea...if you don't like what you see here get off this site and don't come back. This is what blogs do so much better than anything else. There are all points of view and healthy debates that ensue; however, if you don't like it GO AWAY!!

grannydragon said...

KW, I m sorry for your loss. Your anger is natural, but it is not productive. It won't bring your friend back, and neither will physically punishing his father.

I applaud Joe for publishing this letter if it helps you move through the grieving process. But you cannot undo what has been done. I hope you can find a more positive way to deal with your grief. Perhaps channeling your education into counseling? I wish you well, and I wish you speedy healing of your grief.

kStar said...

Joe, I also applaud you for publishing this letter. I understand that this is a form of therapy for KW.

I sat on one of the three jury's that heard the story of this man's abuse to many. Everytime I see his name or hear the name of a street he once resided on I cringe at the thought of him slipping through our justice system. I cringe at the thought of the evidence against him that was not admissable in court. I had hope Mr. Ruark would get him this time around.

Anonymous said...

Josh was an awsome guy, he will always be remembered by me!

KW said...

Thank you Joe for posting this. To Grannydragon, I think this was a very positive way to deal with my grief, letting my feelings be known, is a very important step. Also, not once did I mention harming Mr. Owens. I am not of a violent nature. I just wanted him and all who read my letter to know that his son will be remembered by his smile, his humor, and his spark, and not by the end result of his father's abuse.

Sincerely,

KW

Anonymous said...

The only person responsible for suicide is the person themselves. You can not blame that on anyone else know matter how bad their behavior was toward the person. I know it sounds very cold of me, but this what I believe.

Anonymous said...

I also want to thank you for publishing the letter. I do not understand how 65 charges, 29 years of incarceration, dr's testimony can just be dismissed. There is something wrong with the judical systen; and the public should be making an outcry. Guilty persons should serve the sentence given. Why put this scum back on the streets.
I want to express my family's sympathy to KW and all other persons (except Michael Owens) who had a good relationship with Josh.
Where was Josh's support system (teachers, family, Child Protective Services).

Anonymous said...

KW I totally undestand. I know Josh's family and fiance and her son were also devestated by this loss.
George Owens you are a bastard and I hope you suffer a slow and painful parting of this world to hell.
I have a right to feel this way, and say it this way and express this in writing.

Anonymous said...

I hope I never have to pass by this monster in the store or out on the street. I cannot believe that he is even out walking around Salisbury! He will certainly not get a friendly smile from me! What a low life if I must say so.

Anonymous said...

Who knows maybe a person he can not push around will do the same to him one day. Eye for an eye.

This type of person never assaults adults. Just kids, dogs, spouse. It is not hard to figure out. The guy is a actual coward who preys on those that love him. To bad he could not enjoy a role reversal at E.C.I. They do not like men like this. They have their form of justice. Mr. Owens you day will come.

Anonymous said...

KW,
I share your pain also. Josh was my best friend growing up. We were inseparable. I hope you are able to overcome this situation as I have struggled to put this situation behind me. I will pray for you to be able to mend the scare this has left on your life. I think about Josh everyday and I wish there was something I could have done to help him. Thank you for your letter for it has allowd me to share with another person who still grieves over Josh's death. Although he is gone he still lives in our thoughts and dreams.

Anonymous said...

I think Michael Owens should be staked to the ground indian style and a pitch fork run thru his body.

Anonymous said...

1:00pm, You are an idiot, and I bet Michael Owens suffers one day for the pain he inflicted on this young man.

Anonymous said...

Not sure how I stumbled across this old page, but I'd like to add a few things.

Josh I miss you.
Mike I miss you.

Mike passed away a few weeks ago. You should know, that not a moment of any day went by without him feeling, remorse, depression, sadness, pain, devastation and hopelessness since, and even before Josh took his own life.

Only a few people, two of whom are passed now, know the details of the actual events that occurred in Josh and Mike's relationship. Some of what you hear, may be truth, some may be lies or hearsay. As a family member I have always chosen not to take sides, but instead to try to love unconditionally. Both men were very close to my heart, and it pains me to see them both gone, and to have both endured so much anguish. My prayer is that they can make amends and find forgiveness and comfort in each other in the next life. To repair the rift in the love I know they had for each other, deep down, before everything went so wrong.