Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday, 2/12. Today is . . .

Today is the birthday of former President Abraham Lincoln

President Lincoln was teh son of a frontiersman of Kentucky. Five months before receiving his Republican Nomination, he wrote about his life:

"I was born Feb. 12, 1809, in Harden County, Kentucky. My parents were both born in Virginia, of undistinguished families -- second family, perhaps I should say. My mother, who died in my tenth year, was a family of the name Hanks . . . My father . . . removed from Kentucky . . . Indiana, in my eighth year . . . It was a wild region, with many bears and other wild animals still in the woods. There I grew up . . . Of course when I came of age I did not know much. Still somehow, I could read, write, and cipher . . . but that was all."

He married Mary Todd. They had 4 boys. Only one child lived to adulthood.

In 1860, he won the Republican nomination, and won the re-election in 1864.

On Good Friday, April 14, 1865, Lincoln was assassinated at Ford's Theatre in Washington by John Wilkes Booth, an actor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the birthday of the great Charles Darwin!

Two of the greatest liberators of mankind born on the same day.

Anonymous said...

Absolutly, couldnt of said it better myself...

Anonymous said...

bho goes to illinois today to "celebrate" Lincoln's birthday.
You see, every 4 to 6 weeks, he takes a vacation. already been to indiana & florida this week, now onto wherever.
you watch.
bush couldn't go home every 6 months

Anonymous said...

He cannot not take his entitlement.