Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Darwin's Birthday Poll: Fewer Than 4 In 10 Believe in Evolution

A new poll released just in time for Charles Darwin's 200th birthday found only 39 percent of Americans say they "believe in the theory of evolution" and just 24 percent of those who attend church weekly believe in the explanation for the origin of life.

The Gallup survey, released Wednesday, found a quarter of those polled do not believe in evolution, and 36 percent say they don't have an opinion either way.

The poll of 1,018 American adults, found strong ties between education level and belief in the theory.

"Among those with high-school educations or less who have an opinion on Darwin's theory, more say they do not believe in evolution than say they believe in it," Gallup found. "For all other groups, and in particular those who have at least a college degree, belief is significantly higher than nonbelief."

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,491345,00.html

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rubbish. If you took a poll in 1492 95% of the world population would have believed the world were flat. Evolution isn't opinion.

Anonymous said...

Five out of ten.

Anonymous said...

Hey I can ride a motor scooter so you humans must be descendants of me.

Anonymous said...

So for those who believe in Evolution as the beginning of man, where did the first "whatever" come from? If it's the "Big Bang", then who or what caused the "Bang"? If everthing evolved from a cell, then who, what or where did that first cell come from? For any theory to be accepted, you have to be able to explain it's beginning.... Right?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I believe the "world were flat" in 1492 was the way they said it. If evolution is real, then explain rednecks.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 10:19-
Rednecks result from small, inbred breeding populations. You can find the same phenomenon in other animals: take for instance puppy mills, inbreeding results in deformed and mentally deficient offspring. The same goes for any animal, including humans.

Anonymous said...

10:19//11:45. I prefer to look at the good side of things....perhaps the evolution of "rednecks" continues because of some yet to be understood continuing need for dentally-challenged banjo players in an enlightened society {Alison Krauss was a monster at the grammys this year}. Failing that, I am pretty sure the answer lies somewhere within "Revelations" {for bible fans}...

Anonymous said...

Reese, the more I read your comments the more I feel like my head is going to explode. You mind must be like a constant rat race. Whew.

Anonymous said...

12:58. Will your head explode in one second...one second...one second; do I hear two?? Keep in mind; I am not the true enemy of this blog....YOU just seem to have your panties a little bunched lately .BTW...the Africanized bees have now made it to Utah; do you think they will now go back home when they see how uptight THAT state is compared with Mexico {last call at Utah bars is at 7:45 p.m...trust me}??!!

Anonymous said...

10:19am here....first Reese Bobby you always make me smile

second, I was just pointing out that there is no "smoking gun" missing link between normal and redneck. You either are or aren't but genetics has no hand in it. Yes, some rednecks raise their cubs to be rednecks (sorf of like those who grow up on Welfare end up on welfare) and there are some that grow up to be normal people despite their lineage. I don't fall into that category. I was raised normal and married redneck. I say ya'll and yeehaw, howdy, etc.

Anonymous said...

I always love to make such a pretty lady smile in the midst of such a hate-laden Blogosphere lately...There is always room for David Allen Coe on my Ipod, too {and I'll hang around as long as you will let me-I never minded standin' in the rain; it is STILL infinitely more fun than the best of weekends in Utah}