Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Maryland State Police Trooper 2 Funeral Continued

"First, let me tell you that I am a parent of a MSP flight paramedic. Many of the comments explained that this type of "show" is given to any police or firefighter who dies in the line of duty. This is not only to show respect to the one who has died but also to allow those who continue to put their lies on the line to protect us that their service is appreciated by those who they protect. I attended the funerals for the two Troppers who loss their lives trying to save others. The funerals were very moving and very sad. Both Troppers have a wife, children and friends who will miss them. There are also those of us who now worry every time our family menbers go to work and sometimes wish they would find another job. But, we understand why they do what they do. If you really feel that this was a waste of time and money it may be time for you to consider what price you would put on your life or your belongings. How would you feel if you dial 911 and no one shows up? What is it worth to you to have someone rescue you from a burning house, protect your life and property or to get you to a hospital in time to save your life? My son was on hospital leave the week of the funerals but attended all four funerals without pay. This is a "show" of appreciation that, I hope, all of us should understand. I have a feeling that those of you who think this was a waste of time and money never had someone in your family involved in offering their services to the public or maybe you have ran into problems with those who protect you. I hope that one day you will understand why we honor these people the way we do. These are not fun evens to attend but I will be there again if and when someone else needs my "show" of appreciation!

May God protect all of us! Yes, even you."

Dad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one could have said it better. I am a parent of a police officer and I am proud to support my son in the profession he has chosen. This is a strong brotherhood and we all need to support each other and the proud men & women who have chosen to serve & protect us. Bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't make it any less of a waste of money. I pay more than 95% of marylanders do in state taxes, and I feel this is literally a theft of my income. It's easy for someone who only pays $10,000 or less a year in state taxes to support such a superfluous use of the treasury-they're barely paying anything. It's the individuals who are forced to pay six figures or more a year to the state government who have a right to be INCENSED/Distraught over this wasteful practice.