Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Redistribution Of Wealth??

Yesterday on my way to lunch at Doe's Restaurant, I passed one of the homeless guys in that area, with a sign that read 'Vote Obama, I need the money.' Once in Doe's, my waiter had on an 'Obama 08' tee shirt. When the bill came, I decided not to tip the waiter and explained to him that while he had given me exceptional service, his tee shirt made me feel he obviously believes in Senator Obama's plan to redistribute the wealth.. I told him I was going to redistribute his tip to someone whom I deemed more in need-------the homeless guy outside. He stood there in disbelief and angrily stormed away. I went outside, gave the homeless guy $3 and told him to thank the waiter inside, as I had decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy looked at me in disbelief but seemed grateful. As I got in my truck, I realized this rather unscientific redistribution experiment had left the homeless guy quite happy for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn. Well, I guess this redistribution of wealth is going to take a while to catch on with those doing the work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who believes this story?

Anonymous said...

That is how it is going to be. we will see how quick "you people" jump ship on poor Obama.

Anonymous said...

Obviously that's not how its going to be. But going off the story, I am not a wealthy person at all but I would have paid the waiter and gave the homeless a few dollars. This is just my opinion, If I am blessed with and I see someone without I try to help.

Anonymous said...

Repost that was lousy the first time around, and a gross distortion of the progressive tax TEDDY ROOSEVELT put in place.

Since you all like things the way they are, enjoy that the fat cats of Wall Street won't pay taxes while you bail them out. Because the ultra wealthy are the ones making out, but you bitch at the idea of the middle class getting a better break.

Mind-boggling.

Anonymous said...

I know this, i'm a single parent and i'm tired of struggling everyday trying to keep my head above water, while i like many others look at my pay check and want to cry at the money i pay in taxes. I could really use that money to take care of my own family. Don't get me wrong i don't mind helping those that cannot help themselves but those of us that are trying to make a honest living need a dang gone break. I hope the working class middle America gets that break. I will believe that when i see it. Everytime i hear that the rich are going to get taxed i get scared because it always come back to the middle class and i see more coming out of my pocket.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

I believe the key to fixing the entie problem...has nothing to do with redistribution. Bluntly, the vast majority of folks who make over $500k a year and the companies as well...have more than enough tax code written by their friends in congress or the senate...to avoid their "fair" share. The rest of us...from the middle class on down...have done the bulk of what revenue collecting was needed.

So my solution is simple...start stripping tax code entirely. Come to a simple five-page tax code...across the board....and the vast majority of us in the middle class would likely only pay 18 percent max...and anyone below $30k a year...probably less than 5 percent.

We don't need redistribution of wealth...we need to simply keep what we've worked hard for and earned.

This entire Obama game...tries to fix something...but by more tax code...and trust me...the wealthy companies and individuals are busy paying dimwitted congressmen to write even more tax code while we speak.