Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Daily Times Sends Salisbury News A Message

"to SBYNEWS - The DT prints their circulation figures as audited by an outside agency.

Question - Can SBYNEWS post the # of hits it receives daily and can this information be verified?

On average the DT has over 400 different stories includung local, national, sports and obits. Oh my I almost forgot about advertizing and sales flyers. What revenue does SBYNEWS generate from it's paid advertizing? I bet you it is pretty darn close to $0000000.00 (I put all those zeros in to make you feel good Joe) How many people does SBYNEWS employ? - 0.

Find some real news BeezerBoy & Joey"

While I was told the DT's used to employ some 200 people, that number has dropped tremendously. What scares the DT's is that they know we will be able to provide the same volume of information soon without having to piss away hundreds of thousands of dollars on employees, making advertising costs drop at least 50% less than the DT's.

Greg Bassett and I had a conversation a year ago referencing hits and quite frankly, Salisbury News blows away the Daily Times when it comes to "Page Views." I'm not going to get into a pissing match with them on numbers. They'll do their thing, we'll do ours.

Come January, Salisbury News will start advertising. We have been bombarded with people and companies interested in advertising and it will be so reasonable, the DT's will NOT be able to compete and stay in business. I'm NOT suggesting I'm putting them out of business. I'm simply stating we'll be taking quite a bit of their advertising customer base and they know it.

As far as how many people we'll employ. Time will tell on that. As far as our advertising revenue being "$0000000.00" sit tight Mr. Bassett. Unlike YOU, we're not hurting for money, obviously. Now how many of you think Gannett will come begging to purchase Salisbury News within the next year? There's always the other option. They could come to Salisbury News and beg us to buy them.

As far as Salisbury News posting our hits and verifying those numbers every day, Homey Don't Think So! Nice try though. Look Greg, it's very simple. You know how many comments you get a day. You know how many hits you get in a day. Salisbury News has more of BOTH.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir:

When you have advertising, take care not to let it ruin the appearance of the screen we see -- for some examples of what I mean , see Monoblogue, Delmarva Dealings and the Daily Times website. It can be counterproductive to your readership if done like those.

joe albero said...

I've never seen a Site where advertising didn't get in the way of the articles.

Perhaps you should suggest sites YOU know of that are examples of what might satisfy you?

Anonymous said...

The DT's registration requirement reduces the comments on its site, and concern over anonymity if you comment there makes them even lower. Its a difficult and SLOW process to post or even navigate the site. It really sucks, and the advertising makes it worse. Think twice about ads.

Anonymous said...

Its sure been a great ride without the ads.

Anonymous said...

"Perhaps you should suggest sites YOU know of that are examples of what might satisfy you?"

Look at the New York Times w-s:

http://www.nytimes.com/

Anonymous said...

Joe, I thank you for waiting for as long as you have not to advertise. It's one of the most compelling reasons I turn to your site first and quite frankly, ignore the others. Its been a oasis in a sea of advertising nightmares.

Anonymous said...

The first thing I do when I get-up is turn the computer on, which takes a few minutes to boot-up.

Then I head to the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee.

Then I return to my computer and click to SBYnews. That's been my daily routine now for the past year. I never look at The Daily Times anymore period.

The DT is just bad news.

joe albero said...

Thank You anonymous 8:16.

Moon Willow said...

Wow. If the first full paragraph was copied and pasted from the original message they sent you, no wonder the DT is failing. Someone has a poor grasp of spelling and punctuation. Not good for a newspaper!

8:16 sounds just like me---I get up, turn on the computer, put on the coffee, get dressed and enjoy my coffee with SBYnews. I even enjoy the nasty comments people direct at me. It's so easy to hide behind a keyboard and call people names, isn't it? And very brave and adult, I might add. Like I'll be intimidated. Dream on.

Anyway, it's your choice to advertise here or not. On the one hand, it's a shame to have to be distracted by ads, but on the other, it's good, because you'll be helping local businesses save money on advertising expenses and reach a larger audience. Go for it!

Anonymous said...

Alot of us out here are like Anon 8:16 am, however, I do look at the daily times for the obit section. Now if you can also put that here, I won't need to look at the DT at all.

Anonymous said...

Joe:

Please don't do that (ads).

Anonymous said...

To what charity will the ad revenue go, Joe?

Wymzie said...

Joe:

Yesterday Billy (Boss Hogg) took his truck to the Hertrick Ford (Formerly Cartlon Massey) dealership in Pocomoke for a recall repair.

When he came home, he told me he wished he had the camera to take some pictures of the "Daily Times" circulation.

There were six unopened bundles of the Worcester County times, two each week for the past three weeks sitting under a counter in the car showroom.

I asked if the papers were out and he said there was a pile from each week in the waiting room, where you wait to have your car repaired.

I wonder how many other places are delivered two to four bundles every week that are "counted" as circulation?

Chimera said...

LOL I still read the free papers-Somerset Herald and Worcestor Messenger,frequently.Hey,they ARE free!
If you do ads I suggest the kind that have an "X" in the corner so readers can close them....

Anonymous said...

Joe, Could you have a separate page on SPYNEWS for your advertising. I might not look at the ads every day but I would probably them check out three times a week which is three times more then I look for anything in the dailyslims. Hey you have a good thing going on here so run with if you can; I would just hate for you to change format of your page too much. But to be honest I would read SPYNEWS no matter what as long as you keep the information coming.

joe albero said...

Lance, you can click on the Claddified Ad Link on the top right hand side of the home page and see items for sae all week long. Joe

Anonymous said...

Advertising huh, gonna have to think about that...

Anonymous said...

oh no no Joe...PLEEEEZZZZE don't do the ads. I beg of you. Especially the sound or animated blinking ones that drive us all nuts! How could we even enjpy reading your blog? Please rethink this if you possibly can.
ty