Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where Are All The Bikers?


As I mentioned in an earlier Post, I was heading out to Winter Place Park for what I had hoped would be a ribbon cutting ceremony and a group of Bikers ready to kick things off at 9:00 AM.

Either it must have been a really rough night last night for most Bikers or things don't kick off till this afternoon. It was slow enough, (obviously) for me to get out of Dodge and come back to the Office till things start kicking off out there.

There's a lot being said about the Wicomico County event having NO ALCOHOL. Look, I don't drink, so I don't care. However, I'm amazed that someone dropped the ball on this one and that no one can tell me as to why there's no alcohol. It's a huge money maker for events like this and considering all the coverage the Sheriff's Office is providing, I'm simply surprised.

I will say this, there's a ton of Vendors there and all sorts of activities going on throughout the weekend. I'll post them later. So if you're sitting at work kind of bummed out because you're missing some of this event, DON'T! It will get big this weekend, you'll see.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no alcohol because the Shore is run by clueless, irrelevant, OLD busybodies who have absolutely no clue what was cutting edge in 1958, let alone 2008. That is why many of us enjoy watching Borat visit towns like ours so that he can show what type of idiots are responsible for turning America into a more-uptight,less-fun version of Amish Country. They can all bite me, man....Surprisingly, flask sales just quintupled across the Shore.

Anonymous said...

There's no beer because NO ONE applied for a license to have beer at Winterpark Place....I work for a beer distributor and attend Bike Week every year so I can't wait to see how this year's event turns out without beer in the very location that the bikers are going to be!

Mardela said...

I heard the liquor board wasn't approving alcohol lisences for this event. They were afaid it would detract from local busineses. Even the volunteer fire departments couldn't get one. I'm not a drinker anymore either, but this type of event would generate lots of money for the community. It's like going to a ballgame and them not being allowed to sell hotdogs. Again, another stupid decision by the liquor board. Someone needs to fire those idiots.

Anonymous said...

I will be there tomorrow.

I think a lot of the problem is that it is spread out to far. Should only be in Wicomico County.

Anonymous said...

I just left Ocean City, and all the bikes are their now. Harley Shop off of 50 is packed, Ocean City Strip is full of them.

Anonymous said...

The idiot above that wrote it should only be in Wicomico County must not realize that Worcester County started this and has made it as big as it is, we should be thankful that Wicomico county was given a piece of it to try and expand from.

Anonymous said...

Since the majority of the people who attend are on bikes, do tell me, do we have enough taxi's to carry them to their next destination. Believe me leaving
Ocean Downs last year could have
broke the Guinness Book of records for DWI.

Anonymous said...

They're all at Harley Davidson in Berlin right now. We just came through there and it was packed! I'm definitely curious how things will go this year with the different locations.

Anonymous said...

1:08. Here is another blanket, Grandma...I'll turn up Lawrence Welk and we will bring you some carmel corn. Feel better now?

Anonymous said...

The "VILLAGE INN" sells beer and will welcome the bikers, get a hot meal and a cold one, drink with some local people, get to know the area...WELCOME BIKERS!!!

Anonymous said...

I just had to comment about this.
I just came down Old Ocean City Rd. headed eastbound...just past WinterPlace Park...someone has stuck a sign in their front yard, right next to the road that reads
"STOP NOISE POLLUTION".
Now, that's a way to welcome all these visitors, isn't it?
I'm not much for loud motorcycles myself, but hey...it's a week...it's a way for all the cyclists to enjoy themselves...therefore, I have no problem with it.
I don't want them revving up by my house at 1 in the morning, but this sign? That's outrageous.

Anonymous said...

the bennetts should have never moved it from ocean downs, they wanted nothing to do with it the first 2 years it was at fort whaley but after all the revenue they saw it made they wanted to HOG THE PIE THEN,but with the economy in the toilet and harley stock and bike sales in the toilet they decided not to rent ocean downs and go with this year we ride B.S. they should call it how rich can we make spuck in 4 dayz and call it a week.