Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, July 14, 2008

Shut Debbie and Terry Up NOW

Rules Resolution Raises Questions
By Terry E. Cohen, Council Member

Constituents have raised some interesting questions and comments to me about Resolution 1672 which will be considered in tonight’s council meeting, starting at 6 p.m. The resolution is designed to change the Council Rules of Order to further limit debate at council meetings and disallow anonymous letters being introduced to council. The resolution was proposed by Council President Smith and supported by Council Vice President Comegys and Councilwoman Shields.

It’s a little hard to know how extensively to discuss a seemingly minor resolution, until one looks at the context in which it’s set. For starters, it was discussed at a specially scheduled work session held June 16, for which neither Councilwoman Campbell nor I could change our schedules to attend. That hardly seems a good way to create consensus, collaboration or “unity,” but it is what it is.

Recently, I learned that council’s discussion last year on September 17 to consider rule changes to limit council members’ ability to ask questions directly of department heads and city staff apparently was a waste of time. Council President Smith’s July 17th memo about it was already distributed to all department heads by City Administrator John Pick on July 18th – two months before our discussion. The memos appear at the end of this post and in a PDF at right with other memos of interest on this topic.

There are so many points that came up in conversation, I can but touch on them here. One key question was, the council president is given such broad powers already to control debate, why is yet another rule needed in an attempt to further consolidate that power?

As for the disallowance of anonymous letters, I’m used to the open government style of federal agencies that not only accept anonymous letters for their public records, but also post them along with signed letters on their websites. I’m more concerned about constituent claims of experiencing retaliation from their government.

I’m somewhat puzzled that my colleagues don’t want anonymous letters on the record, yet they are willing to create policy based on the log Council President Smith kept (also in the PDF file) of comments anonymous to everyone, except perhaps to Council President Smith. It’s also interesting that such a large number of constituents contacting Council President Smith are concerned with the smooth presentation of meetings. The many constituents who contact me (I confess, I’m not keeping a log) seem far more concerned about double-digit tax and rate increases, crime, deteriorating neighborhoods, pollution in the river, housing, jobs, access to information, and similar issues.

In closing, is this just a simple rule change for “efficiency,” or given the history of memos like the one below and in the PDF file at right, plus the 10 previous changes to the Council Rules of Order, does it contribute further to constituents’ expressed sense of blocked information flow and disenfranchisement as voters? It’s a question I’ll have to grapple with tonight as the vote comes up.

To view the article, pictures and pdf files in their entirety please visit www.onyoursidesby.blogspot.com

It should be noted the author of the anonymous letter in question stated he spoke with Gary Comegys, Shanie Shields, Debbie Campbell and Terry Cohen via phone he did not speak with Louise Smith, he got her answering machine, before sending the letter. In essence, the author of this letter was anonymous only to the listening public and Louise Smith. You can bet your bottom dollar Gary called Barrie and notified her.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

another power grab, trying to control imformation, these people are ego-maniacs, with narcasistic complexes. heres a clue, "no-one wants you here anymore" get it. then get out and take your idiot, low i.q. puppets with you. you people are a disgrace to the hard working citizens of the area. when you lay your head down on your pillow every-night you know what i mean. how do feel then when your mirror of life is showing you your soul, how do feel then. you might be able to control those around you, but youll never control your mirror of life. how does it feel to know you are an utter failure. listen to your mirror, learn and grow from it,"try to attone for all your short-comings", sleep well!!!

Anonymous said...

Doug Wilkerson...

You took the words out of my mouth!

EarlsSister, I remember this letter getting read. The room broke out in applause. The guy was disgusted with the way things are going.

Mrs. Smith, I wish I could take back my vote since all you said was all a put on act, a deceptive act. Don't shut up MY representatives! You may as well take away my right to vote!

Anonymous said...

I want my vote back!!!! Remember this in the next election.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think that letter was a sham. Debbie was the one that asked to have it put into record. Who better to have it on record asking an anonymous letter be entered into record, than Debbie, who is coming up for reelection? These people know no bounds when it comes to playing dirty and setting people up. Watch this tid bit come out during the campaigns.

They tried the recall using the kid from SU. FAILED.

Anonymous letter from a Barrie supporter raking Barrie over the coals? I ain't buying it.

Anonymous said...

Don't wait until the next election. Stand up and speak out TONIGHT so it rings out loud and clear in Bubbas mind as he lays out his campaign bid for mayor. Give him every reason to NOT run for mayor other than being a complete bumbling idiot.

Anonymous said...

I have a stearn warning for the members behind trying to censor information.

FAILURE FOR GOVERNMENT TO ALLOW CITIZENS TO PETITION THEIR GOVERNMENT FOR REDRESS OF GRIEVENCES ARE GROUNDS FOR WAR.

It has happened many times throughout our history.

Salisbury is no different.

Anonymous said...

Matters not what Weasel and Bubba and Shameless do! If I know anything about Debbie and Terry, and I think I do, THEY WILL NOT BE SILENCED! And next year, 3-2 will turn around in their favor, and maybe Weasel and Bubba will be silenced! And the mare can slink off with her devil's tail between her legs! Let's just hope there is something left of Salisbury to save by then.

Anonymous said...

Anon 10:02--I wish I could sign my name to this, but the people you seem to be defending would retaliate against me (they have done it before). I know for a fact that the letter was not a sham, and I also know for a fact that, in spite of your implying otherwise, Debbie and Terry were not behin SU's Jordan R. and his "recall" petitions. That honor goes to the mare's minions. THEY are the ones who play dirty and set people up, not Campbell and Cohen. As I said, I cannot sign my name to this. I have children to feed and clothe. I have already suffered once at the hands of the mare and "Dream Team" of Dunn; I can't risk it again.
P.S. Your comment sounds like it was Barrie or her FOB's who wrote it! Some of your phrases are VERY familiar.

Anonymous said...

Just read the memos on Campbell and Cohen's site. Had to ROFLMAO! So this is to apply equally to ALL Council members? HAH! My guess is Smith and Comegys talk to anyone they want, any time they want, with Barrie's blessings. I think this type of thing came up years ago to silence other Council members like C&C who actually CARED about the city. TO Debbie and Terry, if you are reading this, you guys are the reason more people haven't cut their losses and moved out of this cess-pool of a city. Keep fighting!

Anonymous said...

11:28, I think you and 10:02 are saying the same thing...only 10:02 is afraid the anonymous letter was done to set Debbie Campbell up as doing something wrong because it is known that she will defend the weak and intimidated.

I hope it wasn't a set up and that you are right. But after what Louise Smith did to us, everyone is very suspicious.

I think 10:02 was not defending the mayor and her minions, but the opposite.

I'm sorry you have experienced retaliation. So many of us have.

Anonymous said...

10:02, if 12:09 is right, and I misinterpreted your comment to be supportive of mare and against Debbie, then I apologize. Perhaps the use of "these people" and "They" after using Debbie's name threw me off. Please clarify.
And 12:09, if you have been one of us that suffered, my heart is with you.
Anon 11:28

Anonymous said...

you all are a bunch of damn pussys, afraid of barrie, are you men or mice? because anyone that sells out his/her principles for a job is truely lost in their own selves. you can get another job, is pride redeemable? i also have a family to provide for, barrie bring that shit to me, you dont intimidate me what-so-ever.

Anonymous said...

doug, I am a woman, so yes, I guess I am a "pussy," as you put it, so neither man nor mouse. And since my job is highly specialized, and while not high-paid, adequate for our needs, it isn't that easy to get another job, especially in these economic times. So try walking a mile in my shoes before you dis me!
Anon 11:28

Anonymous said...

anon 12;56, THE ONLY PERSON DISRESPECTING YOU, IS YOU. you say your job is high specialized, then that would mean there are less people out there searching for your particular job. its your choice, its your pride, its you has to live with you, hows that working for you?

Anonymous said...

Anon 1128, Anon 1209 is correct. I am 110% with Campbell and Cohen. The rest of them can kiss my a$$. They are nothing more than common low life criminals waiting for the law to take them away.

That letter was nothing but a setup to get Debbie out in front for criticism. It didn't take long to figure out the author of that letter was making an attempt at setting Debbie and Terry up.

The recall was a setup to draw out the supporters of C&C so the mayor can have a new list of folks to attack. She failed at that like she does everything...miserably.

Debbie and Terry have something the rest of those braindead morons wish they had. They have the true support of their constituents.

Anonymous said...

"They tried the recall using the kid from SU. FAILED."

Who would be the they?????
This was a setup from the mare's office, IMO.
She needed to update her RETALIATION list.
The one from the previous referendum is now outdated.
(Betcha, if we had that now, it wouldn't fail.)

Anonymous said...

About the "recall"...
C'mon, trackhawk@comcast.net...
I'm telling you the "list" needed to be updated.