Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 29, 2007

Salisbury Is All Clogged Up




As I was going around the City of Salisbury this weekend I couldn't help but notice every drain I came across was completely clogged up. Engineers design these systems to make sure things like this don't happen, yet around here they do.

Why? Because they're not just clogged on the surface. They're clogged underneath as well. This is what we would call, preventive maintenance. You send a crew around the City checking each and every one of these to make sure this doesn't happen.

However, why would the City not want to do so? Perhaps they can't handle the LOAD??? Perhaps there is still far too much volume flowing into the WWTP? We all know the River was overflowing even onto Main Street the other day. Imagine if all the drains were clear!

Do the City a favor Ladies & Gentlemen. If there's a drain in front of your property, clear it for the City and watch what happens. It will be kind of like everyone flushing their toilet at Noon on a Saturday in the City. The WWTP would shut down.

9 comments:

LadyLibertarian said...

That is gross, Joe. I swear. If the city cleared them, maybe there wouldn't be so many residents complaining of flooding whenever it rains.

I can tell you this. I know exactly what the city's response will be "the residents are responsible for clearing and maintaining the sidewalks and gutters in front of their residences and businesses."

Translation: It ain' our problem, Bud. Fix it yourself.

Anonymous said...

Teacherlady...I live in the county and have always been responsible for cleaning the drain in order to prevent flooding!

Anonymous said...

teacherlady is so right. I know my relatives keep their own drains clear so as to prevent flooding in front of their house. I would rather see money spent elsewhere to improve the city, and clean my own drain, but I know the money saved won't go to the right places anyway. td

Anonymous said...

I saw Public works clearing drains in the area of Glen ave by wi hi on Friday... That must be all they did

LadyLibertarian said...

I have always been a bit miffed at this policy. I have to ask myself "Did I ASK to have a sidewalk or a storm drain placed in front of (or across from) my house? If the city are the ones that make that decision and put them in, why should the citizen be responsible for cleaning city property? The city certainly doesn't pay to clean mine.

LadyLibertarian said...

Anonymous said:

I saw Public works clearing drains in the area of Glen ave by wi hi on Friday... That must be all they did

Teacherlady says:

Didn't it rain most of the day Friday? I was traveling and got back late in the afternoon and it was nasty dreary cold.

Anonymous said...

Yeh, I have a thouhtless neighbor who mows his front lawn so that the grass blows into the street, and there is a drain right there. So, every time it rains our street gets flooded pretty well. They were sent a notice about their practice (not reported by me) and they cleaned it up that once and right back to the old blow the grass and leaves into the street. What upsets me more than the flooding is that these drains go right into the Wicomico River and eventually the Bay. We'll never get that bay cleaned up with this type of attitude toward control of what grass cutters do. These folks even have a riding mower and can catch their clippings???
A. Goetz

Anonymous said...

We clean the drain in front of our house. Too many "sick-of-more" (sycamore) leaves & McFood wrappers, bottles, cups & cans tossed into the mix by college hoodlums to keep abreast on a daily basis.
Only once since 1972, we witnessed the "city" removing the grate & deep cleaning the drain. We've also seen 2 feet of water standing in the street one block away.
We clean the big stuff, why can't the street sweepers run by a little more often. When the mayor lived near-by, they came several times a week. Now if they make it twice a month, it's a lot. (of leaves in the gutter)

Anonymous said...

Notice the condition of the streets in these photos. Guess we have to fix those as well?