The end of summer turned tragic for recreational boater Mike Funk, who died on Sept. 15 after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria in Assawoman Bay.
His widow, Marcia Funk, said the nightmare began on Sept. 11 as the couple was preparing to leave their summer residence on 94th Street for their home in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
“Sunday afternoon, Mike and his friend pulled the boat out from the boat ramp,” she said.
On Tuesday, the couple packed their belongings for the trip.
“He went to store and came back and was just sitting in the car with the lights on,” she said. “I asked him what’s wrong and he said, ‘I don’t feel good, I’m throwing up.’”
Mike went inside to rest and after waking at about 8 p.m., he told his wife, “I don’t feel well, you better call the paramedics.”