Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Featured In Ocean City, Veteran’s Art Reveals Depth Of Internal Struggles

OCEAN CITY – Joe Merritt carries an old military backpack that is similar to the one he carried during two deployments in Afghanistan. But these days, that backpack is filled with paintbrushes and paper, rather than weapons and rations.

He admits while the weapons may have saved his life a time or two in war, the paintbrushes and paper have absolutely saved him now that he’s home.

Like many war veterans, the 30-year-old Denton native had trouble readjusting to civilian life after spending the better part of three years overseas fighting in America’s war in the Middle East.

“Art has brought me a long way, because I couldn’t bring myself to talk about what I experienced,” said Merritt, “but when I found art, I realized I was able to show people how I was feeling. It changed the way I was able to communicate with the world.”

A gallery of Merritt’s art work called “The Things I Carry” will debut in the Galleria at the Ocean City Center for the Arts’ 94th street location at 5 p.m. on Friday night and will be showcased throughout the month of November.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work, Thank you for protecting America.

Anonymous said...

Get a real job.

Nov 11 veterans day. said...

Your a real Pos ,the reason you can spew that lib crap is bc of veterans you pos go back to your moms basement, Troll.

Anonymous said...

It is great work. I wonder if he knew he had this talent prior to now.

Anonymous said...

I bet your a obama welfare queen.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't sound like something a liberal would say