Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, August 09, 2015

THE RIVERS EDGE PROJECT IS A JOKE FOR ARTISTS: Long Read But Very Interesting


My experience applying for "starving artist" 

My experience has been a complete nightmare and run around to only be a waste of time as a starving artist trying to get an apartment at this complex.

1st experience: I went to see the apartments as soon as I was given the news article from May 15th by Jeromy Cox in the Daily Times and was greeted with a very young women that was just rude and mean. She had said some pretty nasty things to me a couple of times after asking some questions. Clearly she didn't want to talk to me. So I went over to a couple of ladies that were interested artist and went on the tour and asked her questions. She told me that the apartments were nice but very small and that they will not tell you anything and its like its all a big secret. We were standing at the three boards with the layouts to the complex. Next to the layouts was a door to the outside patio so I went out the door to look at the complex from there and this young girl comes out the door and says to me " you have to leave right now" . With a very shocked face I looked at her and asked "oh my what is wrong did I do something wrong? She says " this is private property and you are not allowed to be here on the grounds and you have to leave right now " . I then came in the door and apologized if I had done anything wrong and there were no signs on the doors to state otherwise so I'm sorry. she says again " you have to leave" with that I had had enough of her rude self. My daughter was with me and she left because she just knew I was really upset how she was talking to me. My daughter is a very professional calm and collected person and she had to leave because this girl was just sooooooo nasty. At that time I said to the girl " why are you talking to me like this? I have done nothing wrong and you have talked to me like a dog since I came in the door? Her reply was "my feet are killing me and I'm tired and it's been a busy day". Really!!!!!!!!!! Spoke to the manager but did ask her not to say anything because maybe she is having a bad day but management needs to police her associates. We are coming here as potential tenants and this girl is very rude.

2nd experience: went in for the tour (which by the way is on second floor) apartment. I told Mr. Ward that I was terrified of steps but he was very nice and helped me. While on tour I noticed a young black gentleman with his little boy pulling a cooler across the grounds. Lady with our tour noticed him and ask him as he was entering a 1st floor apt. "do you live here"? "yes, I live with my grandmother". Light bulb went off in my mind! Then as we went around the grounds I noticed another very young black gentleman going down stairs with his baby on his hips. I continue with tour and then I got the application packet and went on my way. Excited that I as and artist will have a new place to live and share with other "starving artists".


3rd experience: filled out the application and completed all compliance's for "artist" and went in by appointment because you had to have one and your drivers license were held every time you walked into the door ( why?). I noticed that on the wall in the office was a sign $30 application fee due at time of receiving application. No checks, no credit cards, no debit cards or cash excepted. Must be money order or certified check. My first question was why and said " if someone gives you a bad check that would be a clue not to rent to them". Their response "that is our policy". So I had to leave and go to the bank and get a $30 certified check (which by the way all application fees are free now) just saying. As I talked to Mr. Ward I explained without a doubt that I need first floor 2 bedroom for two reasons. 1st: terrified of steps because I fall all the time on them and I have had two back surgeries and I need extra room for my art studio. So I was put on for a 1st floor apartment. Ward told me once all background check is done and you pass you will be called in for interview for the unit you applied for when available. Great left excited!!! Meanwhile going into the 2nd week waiting for my call, my phone breaks. So I went on Friday July 10th to check to see if they had called. Mr. Ward says "yes I did call. We need to set up your interview". With that I looked straight at him and asked "this is for the 2 bedroom 1st floor apartment right"? Mr. Ward said "yes we pull the applications by availability for units applied for and whom is next in line" Which was me. Great, I'm so excited again. Meanwhile an elderly lady comes in the door with her apartment keys in hand. She says to one of the associates " I have my keys but I don't remember what apartment is mine can you help me"? This I won't forget.... Associate says: I don't have access to that information and no one here can get that information for you". OK first of all this woman clearly has memory issues and was not able to remember who she was let alone where she lived. Whatever. Don't know what happened after that or if she ever found her apartment but was wondering what her artistic abilities were. I left but there were lots of very young black applicants in there every single time I went. No artist (well as far as really true artists anyway) and no white people. Only saw 4 Caucasians in 6 visits there. So I go home and get all info they request for "starving artists applicants" spent lots of time making sure I had everything they requested as well as spending $30 just for the photos for the portfolio.


4th experience: Wednesday July 15th 2015. Now keep in mind I was there that previous Friday and they are closed Saturday Sunday and Tuesday. Now this is Wednesday three working days later for them. My interview was with Mr. Darryl Stevenson. (young black gay gentleman). He greets me nicely but late. OK. We sit and he asked me something not sure exactly but I replied with "now this is for the 1st floor 2 bedroom correct? His reply as he just flipped me off was "oh no we don't have anymore of them but this is for a 2nd floor 2 bedroom.. I said to him, wait I was told Friday that I'm being interviewed for the apartment on the 1st floor because I am scared of stairs and fall on them all the time and I have had several back surgery's and that this was what I was told I was coming to interview for, and he said " well they are gone so if this is going to deter you from living here then we can end the interview if you want". Of course I am in shock at the way he was replying to me and felt like I was put on the spot so I said to him "OK but can I be put on a waiting list for the first 1st floor apt when available and at least give me riverfront. Mr. Stevenson replies "oh of course". So the interview continued. He says that my social security card is invalid because I laminated it (I had no clue), so that went on his list of what he wanted before he could proceed with processing my application. I hand him 6 months of my latest bank statements with that he says "I want the next months statement and I said, um it doesn't exist yet. It is only July 15th and statements don't come out till after July 21st.. Well that is what I want! Of course I'm confused first by his attitude and then how they ask for something that is in the future and doesn't exist.. So that went on his list. Then he hands me a legal pad and says to me "I want you to write the Date, Amount and Explanation for every single deposit you have on all these bank statements" I was like What?????? Anyway I said well don't you think that is an invasion of privacy? He said " well if you want to live here I want to know where your money is coming from".. I mean just like that.... good lord this is getting crazy I'm thinking to myself.. I told him that there is no way I can remember what happened up to 6 months ago.. Well you will have to guess to the best of your memory he said. Of course I am just guessing cause I have no clue.. so I just put anything down to the best of my ability of guessing....lol .. So we then move on to the portfolio I needed to turn in to show my artwork... I went through a good amount of money for a starving artist to put this together, got my three letters from professional artist and teachers and my resume'. He takes the portfolio and retrieves only two photos of a couple booths from shows that we need to have if we did shows. Clearly it shows nothing of my artwork only the booth.. I asked him to please take the whole thing because that is what they asked for in the application for "starving artist" (what a Joke) and he flat out refused... He said he doesn't need it. I'm like "well how will they see my artwork and what I do if you don't take the photos.. this is all I need says Mr. Stevenson.. I knew in my gut that this is just not right. Something is stinking and it isn't me...So he hands me the list and says " I need these three things before the end of 2 weeks or your application is voided".. I said "what?". You are asking me for government documents (2 of the request on list) and I only have two weeks? Yeah!!!!!! You will get them in time I'm sure he says.. OK.... so I leave and go straight to the Social Security Building.. they closed at 12 noon on that day.. So I go back the next day.. I don't understand, if the Social Security office can take my drivers license as complete identification for a ss card, why does this leasing company not take it as proof of who I am? I mean they had my passport, my drivers license and my ss card (laminated) and all my bank statements with my name all my monthly bills and copies of 6 months of the latest checks to my landlord as proof I'm never late on my rent ever, but none of this was good enough to process my application for this guy... (light bulb).... I go home soooo upset from this experience and felt like I have been violated and humiliated and just pure deflated.. So I did my homework. I mean come on.. I'm trying to get an apartment not get into the Pentagon or White House.. I mean what the heck.. anyway so I do some homework so I'm ready for the next encounter.. Low and behold it states in their booklet with the application: you are pulled for the interview once the unit you applied for is available and process can take up to 30 days to process... Now I know you are all smart people so what does that say to you? I'm coming in for the apartment that Mr. Ward told me I was being interviewed for.. Moving on.. I look at the rules for social security card.. states: if you bring in the application from the Social Security Administration that you have applied for new card that is excepted.

5th experience: When I returned on that Friday with this ridiculous request he was asking for... I was not taken into the office but in a room with several new people filling out applications and I thought that was so unprofessional and that was putting my info out for the whole room to see and hear.. What happen to privacy. He takes his time to come see me because he knows at this time I am asking to see the manager because of the way he made me feel in the interview.. When he comes out finally... I hand him all the things he requested... IT WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH according to Mr. Stevenson. I want the card. My reply " but it says right here look, you will take this form from social security administration so we can process my application... WELL I WANT THE CARD per Mr. Stevenson. At this point I want to talk to the manager for a few reasons... His attitude his demands and just plan explanation on what is really happening here...Stevenson "she is in a lease signing and that takes two hrs. moving on.. I gave him the bank info up to the day before because I couldn't give him days that had not come yet as he was requesting.. Once again I guessed at the deposits because I gave him all 7 months now.. told him that this is not right because you are not taking into consideration what I spend on supplies or refunds or loan paybacks and refund checks.. He said: well we don't care what you spend your money on we just want to know where you are getting it.. I am just so upset with this kid but I am doing what he ask because I want to move in town with other artists. I make appointment to speak to the manager the following Monday at 1pm... remember interview was Wednesday and brought his request in Friday and now we are into Monday meeting with manager.. this gets soooooo good. Meanwhile I had called the Mayors office an asked to speak to him. This was Thursday week before and I called Mr. Jeromy Cox at "the daily times" to ask about the article he wrote on May 15th 2015. I was definitely feeling this was all smoke and mirrors. Nothing showed me that they give a crap about the "artists" and that the artist have first priority per their pamphlets and the article in the paper.. You know when your gut tells you something isn't right most of the time it is right. I received no call to this date from the Mayor himself.. Just the office staff.

6th experience.. Now keep in mind every time I have been there since second week of June I've seen three white people, one was a artist that was so discouraged and witnessed the associate being rude to me, an old women who had no idea where she was or where her apartment was with her nurse which none of the staff could give her the apartment number either, and one more artist trying to get in. All application were free now. No one had to pay $30 for application fees.. and it was full of black people trying to get applications.... yeah.. my thought too.. So I was early and told the gentleman (not Mr. Stevenson) that I had appointment with the manager (Teresa Fernandez) at 1 o'clock and when she was ready I was here.. With that they rushed out all the people there, closed the door, locked it, put up the closed sign and came in the big room where I was and closed that door and turned out the lights...(ummmmmmm). Manager Teresa walks over to the table where I was sitting and looks at me and says " have you retained a lawyer?".. I looked up at her and said " what?".. She then says that I told Mr. Stevenson (which was pissed because I wanted to see the manager about my interview) I had a lawyer.. I said, Well he is a liar.. I never ever told that man that and I am very upset that he would do something so unprofessional. With that she and her witness (associate) sat down and I proceeded telling her about my interview and the things he wanted which I brought Friday and he still didn't want to process my application. I showed her their pamphlet and all the big bold words of their rules and she just kept saying we need the ss card.. whatever.. So I told her about giving my unit on first floor away since the previous Friday and what he said to me about it and then we decided I would take the second floor temporarily till the first floor became available.. With that she said.. We don't have any 2nd floor apartments only on the 3rd and 4th.. I was floored.. OK wait, You gave away the first floor on me and then I agreed to take 2nd floor and from Friday to today (Monday) that you gave away also? She said we are a leasing company and it is first come first serve. Um that is not what the news article says with the Mayor beating his chest about this is for the starving artists and they have first priority... and that is not what your brochures say. I showed her the pamphlet again so she could see in their words "artist have first priority". Her reply: we are a leasing company and we didn't have any artist that applied so it is first come first serve.. These are the words coming from her (managers) mouth.. I asked her if the mayor has any idea what is happening here? she said.. he is well aware of what is going on here.. In those words to me... How in the heck can you fight this.. I mean I am getting so discouraged because I was told and all the advertisement is all about the "starving artist".. So with that I told her there is no way I can do a 3rd floor or 4th floor and why isn't there an elevator here? I told her as an artist that I tried to get Mr. Stevenson to take some of my photos of my art and he wouldn't and if an art committee is deciding if you are an artist they need to see what I do as an artist and he wouldn't take any photos.. she said well if it will make you feel better I will take a couple photos for your file. I said yes it would.. So with that we went to the office and I took out the pages with my photos and with that she did a 180 turn around... Her words.....OH MY GOD.... OH MY GOD... THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL... OH MY GOD... I AM SO SORRY ABOUT ALL THAT YOU HAVE BEEN PUT THROUGH AND YOU ARE APPROVED AND I KNOW I HAVE NO RIGHT TO ASK THIS OF YOU BUT WILL YOU COME AND DO SOME WORKSHOPS FOR US? My reaction is "What?'.. I said this is what I have been trying to give your company for weeks.. all the way from the very first meeting with my application in June... Her: I AM SO SORRY... WE ARE ALSO HAVING AN ART BAZAAR IN NOVEMBER AND I AM GIVING YOU YOUR BOOTH. EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO PAY FOR THEIRS AND I AM GIVING YOU YOUR TABLES SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BRING THEM EITHER.. As you can imagine I am floored by this. So I said, that is why I wanted to come here to begin with, so I can be with other artist and learn and teach others but your leasing company (Habitat America) has make this a nightmare for artist as it seems... So with that I left and the Mayors secretary called me that next day and asked if I received a call from the main office of the leasing company? I said no I've heard nothing from anyone.. Told her about the meeting with management the day before and with that she said she is calling them again.. Few hours later a Frank regional manager of Habitat America calls me and I told him about the meetings and interview etc etc.. he says "well we have 50 artist in there". I said well according to Mrs. Fernandez you have none because no artist applied.. I said well you will have to prove that to me... with that he says to me.. " I don't have to prove anything to you"... then he says I'm calling Teresa Fernandez right now and getting some info and I'll call you right back.. I have heard nothing from him since.... yeah I told him about talking to the Mayors office and talking to Mr. Cox at "the daily times". I told the manager of the complex I had spoken to the Mayors office. Needless to say since my first conversation with Jeremy Cox his demeanor has done a 180 also.. He is not excited about the conversations we had about Rivers Edge Apartments and Studio for the Arts the day after my interview. He says in our initial conversation that "I have been waiting for this exact phone call just waiting for someone like you to call to confirm my suspensions". Well he said he was going to do some investigating and get back to me.. So a few weeks later and several messages left on his work phone... nothing.. makes you wonder.


7th experience: I got my new ss card so I took it into the office and Teresa was there. I gave it to her and she said "when you get approved then you will be the first one on the waiting list for the 1st floor 2 bedroom apartment when it come available but I will need to come in every 60 to 90 days to update my application". uggggg really it just keeps going doesn't it... anyway at that point I asked her about the conversation we had about workshops.. She said when she gets them going she will let me know.. I am confused, if there is 50 artist there according to Regional Manager then why has it been almost a year since the first leasing in September 2014 that no workshops have happened. Is it because there are none.. Why does she need me to come do them is my question? Don't get me wrong.. I do want to do them but where are all the artist that are already tenants. Don't they have to do any? You have to sign a document stating you will do workshops to get an apartment as an artists and a year later none have been done... Yeah makes me wonder on that too...

I told Frank and Teresa about talking to the Mayors office and talking to Mr. Cox at " the daily times". I told the manager of the complex I had spoken to the Mayors office. Big Mistake. Needless to say since my first conversation with Jeremy Cox his demeanor has done a 180 also.. He is not excited about the conversations we had about Rivers Edge Apartments and Studio for the Arts the day after my interview. He says in our initial conversation that "I have been waiting for this exact phone call from someone like you to call to confirm my suspensions". Well he said he was going to do some investigating and get back to me.. So a few weeks later and several messages left on his work phone... nothing.. makes you wonder. Of course when I did get up with him he wasn't interested in the subject any longer. ummmmm yeah wonder what happen to his enthusiasm?

8th experience: Meanwhile I go by the complex Monday July 31st and guess what I see? Nine men moving a 700 to 800 lb woman into her new 1st floor 2 bedroom apartment.. You know the one they said they didn't have for me.. Yeah... also she said she was only paying $208 per month.. Of course I am like.. wait a minute, there is no where that has that price for any apartments. It clearly states "THIS IS NOT A SECTION 8 OR SUBSIDIZED HOUSING. Well she has to be subsidized because no apartments are advertised for that price.. Of course you can't prove anything because its my word against theirs again... So I called the Mayors office again and spoke to the secretary that I have been talking to because the Mayor will not call me himself as I clearly ask his secretary to have him do.. He is avoiding it personally. He doesn't want to explain what is clearly going on over there. So I have to deal with the secretary...So the Mayor won't take to me and now Jeremy Cox doesn't want to talk about it anymore and Frank hasn't called me back and I called yesterday (August 5th 2015) to River's Edge Apartments and Studio for the Arts..(.makes me want to laugh any way just their title) to get an update on my application, no answer so left message early in the day.... nothing...

I am sooooo tired of the way Habitat America Leasing Company has handled the rentals. I can't take it anymore.. I want answers.. Is this for the "starving artist" or the severely handicap and ghetto housing.. Just let me know because that is all I have ever seen there as tenants and I will just move on because it is clearly not for the artist as they said...

I am sure there is more but I just get upset talking about the lies and misrepresentation this whole thing has been perceived as being.

I just hope that maybe I'm wrong, but all evidence seems to be otherwise and maybe just maybe I can make it easier for the next artist that wants to live there..

Publishers Notes: After researching this information I have learned two things today. One, Jeremy Cox no longer handles Salisbury matters. Two, I have confirmed there are allegedly SOME artists in the complex but certainly not 50. I have been assured that one Council Member is going to investigate this matter, (and rightfully so) but was also told the state manages, (abiding by the rules) this facility and not the City. The fox and the hen house comes to mind.

I can also say this is the 4th artist, (all female) that I have spoken to on this matter and all four have had massive issues. One even claimed that if you are a white, STRAIGHT female, you're not getting in.

78 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made a comment to my wife when they were building it , this will be section 8 housing , who in the hell or right mind would move into this area?
I give it about 1 year and it will be a shambles and so messed up .

Steve Betz said...

Anyone could see this coming.

If I were this woman I would contact the Governor's office, as it seem the state has some financing involved and some oversight on this project. Perhaps Sen. Mathias, but that's usually about as useless as contacting anyone in city government.

Anonymous said...

yeah, who didn't see this coming?

Anonymous said...

ghetto?

Anonymous said...

My application was processed in 3 hours and I will be moving into a 2 bedroom first floor apartment next week with my scooter.

Your friend,
Jonathan Taylor

Anonymous said...

Just a thought, call Jose Balea at Epilepsy Association of the Eastern Shore, I think they changed their name recently to UNI or something (with good reason). Number is 410-543-0665, I'm sure he could help you out!

Anonymous said...

I knew it was a scam.....its just the city's way of sneaking in Section 8 apartments into the downtown because they knew people would have a fit over it.Must be nice to be able to live in a brand new modern apartment and pay $200 a month.Ride by there,sooner or later you will see people standing around in the entryways selling dope or drinking.

Anonymous said...

Section 8 housing at it's best.

Anonymous said...

As an interested legal mind....I am looking forward to the Pro Bono legal issues that can be mined from this situation. As soon as the complex has been filled the evidence of a pending class action suit should totally come into focus and the lies and deceit (if there are any) should be easily proven. I suggest that anyone that has been put through this run around give their names to this blog so that they can be contacted. Also, keep a well documented diary as this person has done. Be sure to keep all the names of the contact subjects that you have spoken with. Pictures of these employees would be nice as well. I look forward to the first artist show held at this compound

Anonymous said...

Well its location and your first experience should have been enough to walk away!

Anonymous said...

It's a scam, there's not artist there, maybe con-artist

Anonymous said...

and why does this person still wants to live here?

Anonymous said...

When the construction started on this building, I was working for a Salisbury builder and I got to meet most of the people responsible for this project at business meetings and events. They were boasting about all of the specialty details that they were putting into the building and how I needed to buy a unit now; it was absolutely insane. My last conversation with them went something to the effect of me saying, 'I wouldn't put that in my $200,000 house and you want me to buy a $400,000 condo with that crap; who are you kidding'. When I was told how much the units were going for I actually laugh out loud and thought it was a joke. Unfortunately they were all very serious and me being a 'come here' with some common sense, I was quickly ostracized.

Its was absolutely amazing how clueless these people were; the view consist of an empty marina and bar.

Anonymous said...

nice waterfront property for all the lottery participants, i bet they have keno 24 hours a day for all the "artists"

Anonymous said...

How can you "mine" a pro bono case. Pro bono is free of charge and no judge is going to grant class action status to a class as small as the number of rejected "artists". At best, a suit could be filed with several plaintiff combined. There are no deep pockets to go after anyhow. State and local government will get a pass and the management company will be folded up and bankrupt by the time the first round of hearings is scheduled. Don't listen to armchair legal minds, just walk away and find a decent place to live.

Anonymous said...

Personally, First I would have reported it to the police and then I would have gotten a lawyer. You have a good argument and a case. In my opinion, this is a scandal and its for section 8 housing.

Anonymous said...

they are all artists there they draw a check from the State!!1

Anonymous said...

J T app. approved? Time to leave.

Anonymous said...

Post and comments are proof that Sby News readers saw this coming before anyone in political power did.Projects like this are precisely why the word "DUH" has become so popular.We knew and YOU knew,but they were too hard headed to listen

Anonymous said...

Surely there is something in writing about the mission statement and intent of whatever group put this together. If the "project" received grant money, and I am sure they did, there are strict guidelines as to how this was to be allocated.

It sounds like someone put it on a list of eligible housing projects, and they always have a waiting list a mile long. And they know how to work the system. The minute it was to become available they flooded it with applications. Since it's "discrimination" if they charge an application fee, they had to waive it.

I suspect the development management company is going to sorely regret jumping at the chance to instantly fill the apartments, rather than abide by the stated purpose, and reserve it for struggling artists.

You cannot tell me that 97% of the genuine artists in the area are black.

Perhaps each one's "portfolio" should have been professionally juried before the rubber stamp went on the application. What a slap in the face to the truly underserved population whose opportunity has been usurped.

My prediction: first shooting will occur within six months. What a damn shame, and I am sure a huge blow to whomever tried to make this happen as a positive for Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

Artists my ass , its our tax dollars at work for the obama crew.

Anonymous said...

Why all the references to who is what race?

Anonymous said...

"Post and comments are proof that Sby News readers saw this coming before anyone in political power did"...

On the contrary. People with political power knew *exactly* what this was and what was going to happen. They just tried to hide it from the rest of us peons.

Anonymous said...

Someone is talking about the condos across the river from Brew River which was also a fools folly. Anything within view from that section of town is a high risk area. You were wise not to buy anyway. As far as the arm chair lawyers out there...keep talking...keeps them wondering whats coming at them. I like it. We should all plan on attending the first art show they hold. Haha

Anonymous said...

That is some mighty fine looking construction on that place. I hate to see what the place is gonna look like in a year. Sounds like to me that they did you a favor missy by not letting you get in there. Sounds like from the way you described the place you would be outnumbered and pretty much a sitting duck for the natives. First grandma moves in and then the whole gang of kin will follow. Section 8 housing is always lookin good on paper but the person payin the rent is never the only person livin there. They be stacked up like cord wood by winter time. Yup...they did you a favor.

Anonymous said...

And can we ask what type of artist you are Mr. Taylor? Will you be exhibiting in the 1st artist show? Will you let us know when that is to be held so we can come check out your art?

Anonymous said...

I got a post card about this place a couple months ago I wish I still had it to take a picture. It is definitely low income housing and they mailed out post cards trying to get people to move in. I don't even live in wicomico county.

Anonymous said...

We locals...all saw it coming at us. The problem is how to stop it? Do the Hanna's still own Brew River? If they couldn't stop it......

Anonymous said...

I recently heard of a young single mom who easily applied and has encouraged her friends to do the same...said all you need to do is provide proof of earning a minimum of $11,000 per year. Bragged that her child support paid for half of that amount. By the way, no artists in that family! Disclaimer: This info was second hand, so I'm not sure how much is true, but it sure sounds like it could be.

Anonymous said...

Jonathan, it's for STARVING ARTISTS! You are disqualified!

Anonymous said...

After reading this, I would think that this female could file a lawsuit for misrepresentation of what that place was supposed to be, but instead was a big cover-up.

Anonymous said...

"Habitat America", not to be confused with Habitat for Humanity, is a registered non-profit. They can take advantage of plenty of grants, endowments for the "arts" and tax credits to build "affordable housing", without setting aside a single unit for a genuine artist. Their main website, not the River's Edge information page, states there isn't a "preferred" population.

So why hype it, and advertise it as something it isn't? Because it makes it much easier to gain local support for the venture, appeals to those with a true vision for what may still be salvageable in Salisbury, and comes in under the radar as what it really will be: another housing project on cheap, taxpayer subsidized land, for welfare recipients.

A shame it could not have been restricted to ARTISTS for a certain amount of time, say the first two years. Then if it had ongoing vacancies without a legitimate waiting list of artists, open up a certain number of units for the working poor.

If this was just thrown open to the masses like all the other housing projects, it will be real disappointment. And disillusionment like that is the last thing the town needs.

Anonymous said...

I knew when they were being built that it would end up being section 8. Who would want to live in that area? I am surprised that Brew River is still open. I would not go there after dark for fear of getting mugged in the parking lot. My brother used to live on the plaza. He would send me pictures regularly of things happening late at night down there. SCARY!

Anonymous said...

Don't be fooled it's section 8 waterfront housing that we all pay for not ONE true artist lies there.

Anonymous said...

No elevator proves it was not built for artists.

Anonymous said...

Why would any white person want to live in these apts? Definitely section 8.

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to the new low income senior housing down the street from Lowes. Low income senior blacks outnumbered the white people who lived there. There was a drug bust and management did nothing about it. Beautiful building but not a good place to live.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for you efforts to expose the obvious, and to "be the actor" to gain this info! You are a great person for doing so, and I applaud you. For your sake, i hope you find accommodations in an apartment more conducive to your talents and abilities, and a fantastic lawyer to make that happen.

You don't want to be the only grain of salt in the pepper box, anyway.You WILL get shot doing that.

Anonymous said...

3:29 PM, because in Salisbury, who always gets the new apartments for a reduced rate, it sure isn't the white people. Heck I would like to have everything brand new, granite countertops in the kitchen, etc. for around $209 a month but chances of that happening are NONE. I would take care of something like that too, but you can bet that in a year or two this place will look like total crap.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure what Jose Balea has to do with this. I thought it was all orchestrated by Mike Dyer UNA. They bought into this and now they will house their disabled in the middle of this ghetto. I am uncertain how many of them are artists.

Wonder how the parents are going to feel about that one.

It would be a proper environment for the caretakers since most of these underpaid people are from the AA community.

Anonymous said...

I really needed that 2 bedroom apartment. I take up one whole bedroom by myself and the second one is for my scooter. The best part is that YOU are paying for it!

Your friend,
Jonathan Taylor

Anonymous said...

Does the ACLU get involved in obvious cases of discrimination? I know that they did have an office in the Cambridge area at one time. I would check into if I were you. Meanwhile what government agency is in place to pull the funding for agencies that do bait and switch on government subsidized housing?

Anonymous said...

Can someone tell me why I see able bodied adult black men and women strolling around Salusbury in the middle of the day without a care in the world?. Do any of these people work for a living?

Anonymous said...

Habitat America runs several facilities in Salisbury. They are out of Baltimore in charge of Island Club, Runaway Bay, Mitchell Ponds and several others. Good Luch

Anonymous said...

Not surprised at all. Section 8 waterfront apartment for $200 a month. White privilege my ass

Anonymous said...

No, that would be the Dept. of Justice, and they could care less if whites are discriminated against. In fact, it is about to get worse. Far worse.

Obama's "Fairness in Housing" rules which recently went into effect, will force communities to change their zoning and make room for "affordable housing"...even in private gated communities.

Every community will receive a geospatial population map, showing the demographics per street and block. They will be required to submit their plans to comply with the "diversification" mandate, or lose some federal funding.

You won't be able to live in a community which reflects your culture and values. Welcome to your nightmare.

Anonymous said...

Time for white people to move out of this city.

Anonymous said...

This is off topic... But how about the naacp giving away the backpacks at Salisbury middle today? My kid goes to Salisbury middle... Why didn't I know anything about it? My kid is special-needs. I live on very low income I could've used a backpack and supplies for her but I guess my kid is special needs and I'm white so we don't matter.

Anonymous said...

It won't make a difference. The so-called "Fairness in Hoiusing" legislation is Obama's attempt to make white flight futile.

Get on your local town council, become a commissioner, get on planning and zoning. Don't sit back and watch this happen. We have to take local control and present a united wall of resistance to government interference in our freedom of association.

We can't rely on others to stand up to this intrusion into our way of life. I'm going to see what positions are going to be vacant in my own town, and do my part.

Just say no to ghetto.

Anonymous said...

I'm black, live 5 minutes away, and I didn't know either. This time of year there are a lot of giveaways for school supplies it's hard to keep track. Had I known I still wouldn't have gone since I am able to provide for my kids....

Anonymous said...

So we need a NAAWP to care for the needs of the white communities.

But we'd never exclude truly needy non-whites; it's just wrong...and that's not how we roll.

Anonymous said...

I could care less about this housing project or any other in Salisbury. Can't see it from my waterfront farm/home. Let them live there, destroy it and shoot it up!!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It's only right to leave it for those who really are unable to provide for their families. What irks me, are people who push into every line for a handout, white or black.

Like the Christmastime looters, who sign up for every free bike and toy giveaway at every church and charity, go home with five bikes they don't even need.

People who take when they don't need, making others go without, make me sick.

Anonymous said...

The same thing happens in all the 55+ complexes and is not limited to one race.They have grown kids with issues move in with their kids and/or partner,friends,etc.

Anonymous said...

there is no oversight in these communities once they are rented and the rental staff leaves. the most decent people in the world could have moved in during the honeymoon period only to find that grandma has her good for nothing grandson and his baby momma move in with her. The next thing you know the whole neighborhood has changed and there is no one left to do anything but collect rent. Once upon a time Pemberton Manor was for all races and the elderly lived there. (in the seventies) In the end (in the eighties) there was a sweep of the complex and the elderly were moved into other housing projects out of that neighborhood to protect them from the cancer that had moved in. There is a total lack of control and/or oversight in these housing projects and no matter how nice the neighborhood or people start out...it always ends the same.

Anonymous said...

same can be said about the condos across from Bennett high. crosswinds etc, they began with condo owners, now it's section 8 and drug center.

Anonymous said...

Hope you don't have any kids in school paying someone to protect them.

Anonymous said...

Good black people and whites will move out when worthless "neighbors" move in, leaving nothing but trash.

Anonymous said...

I have not read all of the comments,but I did read 25 or so.A very enlightened group of readers indeed.Since this was posted I assume there has not been a response by Rivers Edge.That is seriously troubling & the equivalent of taking the 5th for obvious reasons.Not admitting that this was a failure does not make it a success.They seriously need to respond & give us a heads up,even if it confirms our suspicions.

Anonymous said...

12:21 AM Not all but many - If this is happening the owners or managers are not doing their job. The place where my Mom lives (senior housing) stays on top of things and anyone having a "guest(s)" for over (I think) 10 days without permission from management is evicted if the "visitor" does not move out immediately. The Manager has a good relationship with the renters, who willingly report any infractions. I am not racist but in the 12 years Mom has been there, at least a dozen have been evicted, and all were black. If one lives in a Senior complex and sees infractions, they should be reported to the Manager, the owner, or the agency providing subsidy (RD, HUD etc). It is not being a tattle tale if you report a person breaking the lease agreement.

Anonymous said...

She should contact and file a complaint with the Real Estate Commision. This is whole deal of being artist only is borderline violation of the Fair Housing Act. It is illegal to only rent to one specific group period.

Anonymous said...

The original concept cannot work and would not work in Salisbury regardless of where the building was located.Maybe a smaller privately funded operation would succeed,but taxpayers do not need this foolishness.The group of people that the writer encountered at Rivers Edge were not artists by any stretch.Just admit that it failed and get on with filling it up with Section 8.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you read the original post, nor the comments. This is not about a brand new luxury apartment building being built exclusively for wealthy "artistes", and some overserved "protected" group being denied housing.

Anonymous said...

305...I read and understand it completely. The act works either wat. Maybe you should read the law and other real estate laws. Regardless of who is obtaining tenacy in these apts...the company is breaking the law by advertising artist only. I suggesyed ahe contact REC to burn said company's ass.

Anonymous said...

"I could care less about this housing project or any other in Salisbury." I agree, but don't forget that, somehow, your tax money is being channeled into this mess. That what burns my butt.

Anonymous said...

The point here, is that taxpayers, and potential tenants, were led to believe this building was not going to be another subsidized housing project, that it was not built for Section 8 tenants. The application clearly states this.

In other words, not another "insta-ghetto".

The premise of the original post was that she filled out the application, jumped through all the hoops, and no matter what she did, a
particular group of people appeared to be given not just preference, but that nobody else was even considered. That the whole thing appears to have been a sham, to slip another housing project into downtown Salisbury, under the guise of a cultural renaissance.

Anonymous said...

Let Hogan know.

Anonymous said...

I am disabled and am actively searching for low cost housing as I only have my pitiful Social Security check to live on. I called a complex that is subsidized where I was supposed to be on a waiting list from 8 months ago. I called because I saw that they were advertising openings on Craigslist, yet I hadn't received a call.
The leasing agent said she didn't have anything available BUT THAT I SHOULD TRY RIVERS EDGE APTS!!
IMAGINE THAT!

Anonymous said...

Female isn't enough. You have to be also gay and/or black to count.

Anonymous said...

Because racism. It's "black privilege".

Anonymous said...

Wow. Salisbury is racist. It always about race. Instead of complaining about what is going on there at the complex, there is always the Governors office.

Anonymous said...

Just because people are unhappily pointing out an apparent inequity, that doesn't make them "racist".

But the constant preferences, gimmes, set-asides and special treatment, along with their behavior, is sure creating them.

Anonymous said...

Because there are many white people on section 8 as well....or maybe not ...because they are all trailer park trash that live in those trashy trailers in Fruitland down past the ball field.

Anonymous said...

Section 8 is income based and if u think for one second white people dont live on section 8....you're mistaken. Their pride won't let them tell you that's all

Anonymous said...

As a young adult who has grown up in Salisbury, I'm taken aback by the implications of this article and by the insentive and prejudiced remarks in the comments.
Seems like many of you have somehow forgotten that African Americans are humans and are not/should not be synonymous with "ghettos" "danger" "violence" "poverty" and "drugs".
If River's Edge could not get enough applicants from "true artists" in Salisbury then hats off to them for providing state-of-the-art housing at a reduced price to those who may not be able to afford it otherwise.

-LG

lmclain said...

Wow, LG.
You have been completely taken over. Whether or black people should be synonymous with danger, poverty, violence, drugs, and ghettos is not the fault of white people. It IS someone's fault, but not white people. What's the statistic?? 70% of all adult black males have either been in jail, are waiting to go to jail, just got out of jail, or in jail currently. Now, NUMBERS are "prejudiced", too? Who knew?
It also seems pretty clear that the River's Edge project (I've been watching it go from "idea" to fruition) was always supposed to be another Section 8 project, but couldn't get much support as such. So, some genius thought that if it was presented as an "artist's colony" complex, well, that was all touchy-feely sweetness. Now, it turns out that it IS a Section 8 haven run by Section 8 recipients who are only interested in Section 8 dwellers. Probably should check to see how many relatives and friends of the current management staff are current/future tenants.
No businessman takes on a project like that without knowing the market, so your "...could not get enough applicants from "true artists"..." argument is weak and uninformed. "Weak", being generous.
If they didn't know how many potential "artists" were in the area and needing housing, then they were stupid and incompetent. If they DID know, and knew there weren't enough, but built them anyway, well, stupid and incompetent again.
BUT, if they knew it was going to be public housing (in three years or less, a GHETTO, and everyone knows it), and still presented to us as an "artists colony", they were liars, thieves, and cheats.
I'm going with liars, thieves, and cheats.
Keep cheering!

Anonymous said...

The statistic is 48%. FAR from 70, but still startlingly high. The statistic for white men is 39%. What you're failing to acknowledge by including that [false and uninformed] statistic is that black men are incarcerated at much higher rates than white men are for the same exact crimes. I believe the rate is close to 20% higher but if you would like the specific/verified numbers for that, i can provide them as well. So no, "numbers are not prejudiced too" but the system that incarcerates these men is. If all criminals of all races were given equal sentences for their crimes the statistics would be much different.
As for whether or not the businessmen who established this complex are stupid and imcompetent, I can't speak on that. I didn't state that the leasing agents couldn't get enough artists as fact (hence the word "if" at the start of my earlier statement), I only gathered that from what the author described in the article. I don't support deception, but I do support providing housing at a reduced price for those who need it, artists and non-artists alike.

-LG

Be the Change said...

I am a white female artist...had a pleasant interview with everyone I spoke with. Found them to be very helpful. Interviews and tours were informative and was given an apptment arrangement within less than 3 months. I love the concept of giving back to the community... sharing our gifts and talents with the children in the community and look forward to helping be a part of it all. I'm sorry to read all the negativity...things can't change for the better if people aren't willing to take a chance to help make them happen. Don't give up...be the change.
Blessings.